Saturday 30 September 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Monaco 'Night Driver' Limited Edition Calibre Heuer 02 Chronograph

 
CBL2181.FC6515

You know when you buy a new printer and you have to print a sheet of paper out with all these grey squares on... and then you have to squint at it and work out which one has the thinnest white line down the middle? Well, I'm sad to say that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the first picture of this new limited edition Monaco. But then I saw a different picture and it looked completely different, and then I saw another picture and it looked completely different again.... all of which makes appraising this without hands on experience rather difficult.


The Monaco 'Night Driver' (as it's being called) has been on the horizon for a very long time. I believe this was supposed to come out last year, but for whatever reason it was delayed and in the meantime some things have changed. Sadly, or maybe not depending on your viewpoint, the luminous stitched strap didn't make it into production. I know... it's a tragic loss, and it would have really made this stand out. But I guess perhaps it looked just a little tacky. Or perhaps a lot tacky. Especially on an £8300 watch (let's not even bother talking about how the price is unjustifiable, it's getting super boring and I'm sure the C.O.C.O. will bring it up).


This one was launched to coincide with the 2023 Singapore Grand Prix weekend but it doesn't seem to actually have anything to directly to do with the Singapore Grand Prix. I guess the reason it was launched there is because the Singapore Grand Prix is a 'night race', though I can't imagine the lumed dial on the Monaco was very visible in the glare of the sixteen hundred spotlights dotted around the circuit which bathe the racetrack in bright light and render the idea of it actually being a 'night race' somewhat laughable.


Anyhoo, for sure the dial looks great when it's lit up like a Christmas tree and if I owned one of these I would be constantly lighting it up with the most powerful torch I could get my hands on. But in the light, well, I just can't get excited about the grey dial I'm afraid. Admittedly the more pictures I see the better it looks and the polished and coated case looks awesome, but if I was spending this kind of money on a watch I would want it to look incredible 24 hours a day, not just when it's dark.

Okay well clearly not my favourite release of 2023, so let's find out what the Council of Considered Opinion have to say about it... 





4/10: Oh man so sick of all these Monaco releases. They all blend into one square mix of yaaawn. So a black watch with a dial in tones of grey? Weak.

6.5/10: I love the concept of this, however I feel the reality is far from my expectations. 
Not really sure how I feel about the dial colours or lack of. Bit of a shame as a Monaco with a full lumé dial is pretty impressive. I guess it's the pay-off for the lume feature. I do like the back of the watch though!

8/10: I quite like it. I was maybe expecting something else about the dial, but I like the case finish, the strap, the buckle, the lume… but not the price 

7/10: Looks nice overall. Price is, once again, too high.

6/10: Regarding this Monaco, it has changed from the initial rendering, and the expression that shines like the sun in the lume is gone. I'm skeptical that this watch will sell well. Monaco is something special watch, so I want it to be limited to limited edition variations instead of being released too often.

9/10: It's an elegant Monaco and has a special party trick that makes it unique.

6/10: I prefer the Dark Lord if going black (feels like a photocopier running out of colour ink). But do like the lume.

8/10: The Night Driver looks much better in person than in most live pics. The polished & brushed case in Grade 5 Titanium is worth the premium over the Racing Blue/Titan's Grade 2 sandblasted finish. I score the Night Driver the same as the Racing Blue. They're sort of opposite ends of the spectrum. One is loud & colorful, the other stealthy & monotone (until the lights go out), both equally nice for different reasons. If I had to choose one, it would be the Night Driver. But given their prices, I choose none.

8/10: Actually I think it's not bad. Although if it is compared to the Dark Lord...well, we all know who will be the crowd favorite is. The color reminded me of my Telemeter Carrera but of course that one has no lume unlike this one

7/10: Like the top pic muchly but the lume shot, not so sure on the colour, maybe not so ‘in yer face’ in real life.

8/10: Not bad. In daylight it seems a bit dull. Also I like the 'horizontal hours' better on the Monaco.

7/10: I feel that this needs to be seen in the metal to be truly judged but a few things I can comment on are…  I’m sorry but Monaco’s need to have a Heuer badge, horizontal indices and not have a runnings seconds. So I would give it a 7/10. May score higher when I get to see one in the metal...?

3/10: Aaaah my eyes...

7/10: I like this one. It's up there but there are still a couple of other Monacos that are cooler and I like better. And it is expensive but that's probably going to be the case for everything now. Maybe 6/10 for this one... having seen better photos I'm upping this to a 7/10. Really nice with the black case.

9/10: Well - as I already said perfection doesn't exist, but this is certainly a very pleasant surprise... I guess I’ll just keep ignoring the mad prices moving forward.

7/10: Monochromatic look is cool.

6/10: I thought this was going to be a lot cooler, but it just looks bland to me, lume aside. Adding in the silly price tag, it gets a 6/10 from me.

7.5/10: I like it actually. Makes a notoriously familiar chronograph, even more at night! But I doubt you’ll ever use this one as a night “diver”.

No comments:

Post a Comment