Tuesday 20 August 2019

NOT BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer 1988 Catalogue


Ugh! I'm not going to lie here, I am deeply disappointed. I found this on eBay a couple of days ago when it was bidding at £10.50 and I was more than a little excited. This is the 1988 TAG Heuer catalogue, featuring 183 ring bound pages in seemingly excellent condition... why wouldn't I be excited?


The only problem was it was due to finish at 12:05PM on Sunday, which for me was the worst possible time as I would not be able to bid at the last minute or respond if someone outbid me as I couldn't be near a computer to watch the auction end.


Still I reasoned that if I left a decent bid I would have a fair chance of securing this particular treasure... and so began the awful dilemma of deciding what might be that 'winning' bid?


In hindsight I can see that my bid was too low, and I really should have made a better fist of it - but I have spent a lot of money on catalogues lately. Still, opportunities like this don't come around too often and I wish I had bid more for it.


The bid I left was for £41.33, and when I eventually returned to my computer (about half an hour after the auction had finished) I saw that the catalogue had sold for £42.33.


Galling as that obviously was, who knows exactly how much the 'other guy' was prepared to pay. Maybe he was just as determined as I was, so maybe it's for the best....

Hmm.... (quietly seething)

No comments:

Post a Comment