Monday 6 July 2020

FEATURE: My Top Five (Modern) Autavias


As you probably know by now, I'm not a 'vintage' watch guy, so for me the TAG Heuer Autavia starts in 2003 with a 'TAG' branded re-issue that brought us three models; black and orange (known as the 'Rindt') white and blue ('Siffert') and the white dialed rose gold model. All these models had the Calibre 11 movement and so featured the left hand crown as per the classic Monaco we all know and love.

Unfortunately this range didn't really take off and the models were gone again within a couple of years. It seems perhaps buyers weren't enamoured of the 'TAG Heuer' logo on the dial and since at this time Heuer originals weren't as expensive as they are today it was easier to pick up an original for a sensible price.

I really liked the Siffert model, but I'm not a fan of the case shape, so I was pleased to see it re-imagined for the round cased Calibre 11 limited edition (just 100 pcs made!). At the time it came out I couldn't afford it, and there were other reasons I didn't buy one - but I honestly thought it would be the only Autavia I would ever consider, but things change...

I can't honestly say I had to spend hours whittling down the field, painstakingly picking models apart and agonising over my decisions as there really aren't that many Autavias to start with and a lot of them can be discounted quite easily from my point of view because I really don't like the bezel on the original Autavia Heuer 02, so that counted out quite a few including the otherwise quite attractive blue dialed 'Watches of Switzerland' limited edition!

Still, there's still some nice pieces here all the same:


#5. CBE2111.BA0687
(Jack Heuer 85th Anniversary)

The Jack Heuer 85th Anniversary model was a big improvement over the CBE2110 for me, if only because they changed the bezel to one with a much more delicate design. That said, I'm not crazy about silver dial watches and unfortunately the 'beads of rice' bracelet doesn't work for me either, which doesn't bode well for the whole Heuer 02 range really... but this was definitely one of the nicer ones.


#4. WBE5112.EB0173
(Calibre 5 Chronometer)

When the 'new' Autavia Isograph was launched at the beginning of 2019 I wasn't overly interested if I'm completely honest, but visiting the Meadowhall TAG Heuer boutique I came across the entire range on show (not available to buy) and was rather impressed. What looked like quite a flat and uninteresting dial in pictures had much more depth and detail than I expected and the I much prefered the less ostentatious bracelet. While I wouldn't say I was desperate to buy one, it certainly changed my perception of the range enormously and this blue/black dial is almost the pick of the bunch for me.


#3. CBE2118.FC8246
(1972 Viceroy Re-Edition)

Okay, so maybe I'm willing to overlook the bezel here, since this classic combination of black and red gives this one a more aggressive and sporty look which works for me. Only available in the United States, this Autavia was originally intended to be a limited edition of 150pcs, but was changed instead to a 'Special Edition' meaning an indeterminate number of pieces at TAG Heuer's discretion. A smart move I would say as I bet they could easily shift 500 of these without too much trouble.


#2. CBE2114.EB0131
(Calibre 11 Limited Edition Heuer 02)

The 'Calibre11' (website not movement) limited edition Heuer 02 Autavia was an instant hit, with a simple but stunning colour scheme and a commensurate rise in resale value! On release it combined all the best elements of the Heuer 02 Autavia range, with the (much more aesthetically pleasing) tachymetre bezel, a white dial and (subtle) blue accents hinting at it's 'Siffert' roots. It is the only Autavia Heuer 02 I would have ever considered buying myself and part of me wishes I took advantage when I had the opportunity - but now it's way out of reach, even if I decided I did want one. Glad though that I don't have the guilt of being tempted to flip for a profit, especially since David from 'Calibre11' very kindly arranged my trip to the TAG Heuer factory in 2018!  


#1. WBE5190.FC8268
(Calibre 5 Chronometer)

It was a tough call between the top two, but ultimately I decided I had to go with the one that I thought I might, possibly, maybe, one day purchase... and that is this green dial model with a bronze case. Again I got to see this in its original 'Isograph' incarnation at the Sheffield boutique and it really impressed me. The crown is a bit on the silly side, but it didn't seem quite as oversized in reality as the pictures suggest and the watch definitely has a great feeling about it. It just feels very well made, and as I said before the dial has much more depth and detail than pictures suggest. 

As yet I haven't taken the plunge into 'bronze' watches, but this one definitely appeals. My only real concern is how to keep it looking nice and shiny! I know a lot of people love bronze because it ages and turns green (some people even put their watches in plastic bags full of eggs to accelerate the process - madness!) but I like it because it looks a bit like gold but has more warmth to it. I understand you can clean it with vinegar, but it seems like a lot of hassle to me!

It's always the way that you shouldn't dismiss watches from pictures, but never was this more true than with the modern Autavia range - they just don't photograph all that well, which is a shame but it does mean you get a nice surprise when you actually come face to face with one!


Check out the modern Autavia range on the TAG Heuer Enthusiast Gallery Blogspot:
http://tagheuerenthusiastgallery.blogspot.com/search/label/Autavia?view=snapshot

No comments:

Post a Comment