Thursday 8 December 2022

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Formula 1 'Mexico' Limited Editions

 
WAH1015.FT6026              CAZ2013.BA0876               CAZ2014.BA0876

A few days ago an Instagram poster called 'tagheuermaniac' sent me a photo of a WAH style quartz Formula 1 reminiscent of the Gulf model but with green and red stripes instead of orange and blue. I had never seen this model before so I'll admit I was a little sceptical at first (after all, I have spent more hours than I care to remember trying my best to find and catalogue every TAG Heuer ever made on my 'Gallery' blog and also here in the 'Number Lists' and 'History of' posts), but after doing some more digging I managed to verify that this was indeed a genuine model and in the process uncovered two more 'Mexico' limited edition Formula 1s! 

WAH1015.FT6026

So, first off here is the watch posted by 'tagheuermaniac', it dates from 2011 and was limited to 150 pieces. I've always liked the Gulf version of this watch with the similar cross-hatched dial, small second subdial and integrated date window. Ironically the watch has a rather large 'small seconds' and a rather small 'grande date'... but it looks great and the lume on these is probably excellent if my old WAH1110 is anything to go by. Unfortunately it probably shares the same crappy wrist-destroying clasp, but the strap is easily replaced with a pin and buckle rubber strap for about £50, so I wouldn't let that put you off!

GQ MEXICO article:


CAZ2013.BA0876

Next up we have the 2015 offering, which according to 'Watches World' celebrated the return of F1 Motor Racing to the country (FYI - the previous Mexican GP was held in 1992 and was won by that year's World Champion Nigel Mansell). Here we step up to an automatic Calibre 16 chronograph and to me this is even nicer, perhaps the nicest of the three models on display here. The CAZ2013 doubled production from 150 to 300 pieces and was exclusively sold in Mexico.

WATCHESWORLD.COM article:



Finally we come to the 2016 edition, which again is limited to 300 pieces and uses the same 44mm Calibre 16 Formula 1 as its base. The main difference this time is that the stripes are moved to the left of the dial and a chequered stripe has been added between them to make a point of difference. At first glance I thought this was perhaps the most striking, but in all honesty I think the relative simplicity of the 2015 model is the winner for me. I still like this one though... and the 'Mexico' text on the bezel is a cool touch.

WATCHES WORLD.COM article:

GQ MEXICO article:

OPENADDICTION.COM article:


It genuinely surprises me that I can still find models that I haven't come across before, despite my best attempts to track everything down. It's frustrating, but also a reality check, and a reminder that my quest will probably never be completed. There are so many special dials, limited editions and region specific releases that probably even TAG Heuer don't even have a truly comprehensive list (especially for pre 1999, pre LVMH releases like the Van Halen 5150 quartz Formula 1 covered HERE).

Still, I will keep trying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment