Thursday 19 January 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Ladies Diamond/Rose Gold Automatic Watch

 
WBN2451.BD0567

If you are a regular reader you will know that every six months I scour the TAG Heuer website and produce a price list of the available models (you can access these via the 'Price Lists' tab at the top of the page or by clicking HERE). While the prices themselves are of marginal interest, the main purpose of this is to provide a snapshot of what models were available at any given time for any future historians frustrated by the transient nature of a website which only displays what is for sale today. 

In the process of this analysis I came across a new watch that I hadn't seen before. Given that (at the time of writing) it is the 5th of January it's possible that this was actually added sometime towards the end of last year, but as it is for the purposes of the COCO Council and the 'Watch Of The Year' we are going to have to consider it a 2023 release. Not that I imagine for one second that this (almost) completely iced out 29mm Calibre 9 Carrera is in with a shout at the 2023 WOTY, ho no.


Because not only is this a 'woman's' watch (which is enough in itself, honestly) but it is a woman's watch that has a MOP dial, diamonds hour markers with rose gold surrounds, rose gold hands, a rose gold date window surround, a rose gold and diamond bezel, diamond lugs, rose gold mid links and a rose gold (plated!) crown. 

Oh, and also, the icing on this particular £44,600 cake, diamond encrusted bracelet links! 

Now, honestly, I think it's great... and my wife likes it too. But most of the COCO members won't, and they tell me their wives won't either. Which is fair enough, clearly this isn't for everyone and for sure there is an argument that says for that money you could get a much 'better' watch. Because sure, take away the diamonds and this is ultimately a £3000 watch, so realistically you have to look at this as what it is; 'jewellery' first and a 'watch' second.


When you look at it like that it does kinda take on a different complexion, though whether you think all those diamonds merit the increase in price is up for debate. I'm certainly no expert in diamonds, but even the tiniest of them seems to cost a bloody fortune these days and this seems to be about where I'd expect it to be based on previous recent iced out Heuer 02 tourbillons.

One thing that did occur to me though, last time my wife bought a brand new watch she had to have six links removed because her wrist is so tiny. Which means if she bought this she'd have literally thousands of pounds worth of unused links left in the box. I suppose this is not really TAG Heuer's fault or problem, and maybe in reality these are made to order, maybe you get to specify the number of links required and the cost is adjusted accordingly? 

After all, it's not like you're gonna be able to sell them on Chrono 24 is it?


Overall, I think this is very nice, but there are two things that bother me slightly. Firstly, that clasp looks a bit plain... couldn't they have added the diamonds to that too? And the crown being plated, on a watch of this price seems a bit mean. I'm guessing 'plated' doesn't mean what 'plated' in the 1980s meant, like three microns of gold on your S/EL or whatever... but even so it's not a positive at this price point, that's for sure. 

Okay, well it's time for the COCO to flex their muscles and I'm not expecting an overwhelming wave of approval if I'm honest, but here we go...  




WBN2451.BD0567: 4.9/10

92.5 / 19 = 4.87 (Rounded up to 4.9)


4/10: "I just showed this watch to my (25 year old) daughter and asked her opinion. Unfortunately, for privacy reasons I can't show you a picture of her facial expression. She walked away and mumbled, 'Jesus dad, things are really getting out of hand now'.."

7/10: "Pros - all the diamonds, the rose gold crown and links on the bracelet. Cons - MOP dial and for that money I'd expect solid gold rather than gold plated."

5.5/10: "It looks nice, but I think this could be a case of "less is more" and stick with diamonds on the dial and bezel or dial only."

2/10: "All the bits my other half dislikes..."

1/10: "Mother of pearl dial, rose gold, encrusted with diamonds - everything I hate about "ladies" watches.

7/10: "It's nice, automatic and Tag Heuer. What else can our significant one ask for?"

5/10: "Asked the gaffer, too blingy, too expensive(for her), at that price I’d be buying something made by another brand."

7/10: "Not really something I would be drawn too, nor my Wife, but looks cool for the right person. Gets a 7 out of 10 from me, despite the huge price tag."

6/10:I think it’s very 'brave' of TH to create a 45k ladies Carrera with so many diamonds...

3/10: "I want to know who is going to buy this watch?"

9/10: "Wow! They should do this with a black dial in men's size too!"

4/10: "MOP, diamonds, crazy price… I’m sorry, but I can’t give it more than that."

6/10: "It's a very lovely ladies watch and the diamonds add a very nice and luxurious aesthetic. However, take the diamonds away and I feel the watch itself is nothing special. That said, I'm sure its prospective owners would not care about this.

0/10: "There aren't enough f*cks in the world for me not to give about this watch!"


No comments:

Post a Comment