Thursday 27 June 2024

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre TH31-03 COSC GMT Watches

 

I actually saw and tried these on last week, but I didn't revise my 'First Impressions' post as I think it's more interesting to document how opinions can change once you go 'hands on'. An 'On the Wrist' post for these (with pictures) will follow in July.

Last week we looked at the new Aquaracer three handers, I guess we could have included these in the same post but I think eight watches at once is a bit much, especially when it comes to organizing the comments from the Council of Considered Opinion. 

So like the three handers these new GMTs are also a chronometer certified and share the same new 42mm diameter / 48mm lug-to-lug case. They also have the new 'draped fabric looking wavy dials' (© Aquagraph), albeit the tones are a little darker here than on the three simple three handed versions.


Of course TAG Heuer have had a blue/black 'Batman' GMT offering available in the catalogue for a few years now, starting with the WAZ211A Formula 1 and progressing through the very attractive WAY201T Aquaracer which arrived in 2020 and was only recently discontinued. But, oddly we've never had a green/black 'Sprite' until now... I can't imagine why that is, it seems such an obvious combination. 

A deeply cynical person might declare that TAG Heuer have simply 'copied' the design from Rolex, but that would be highly contentious and completely ignores the creative, avant garde spirit of the brand. No, I'm 100% sure this was never a factor and is surely a coincidence because as we know it takes years of development to bring a new watch to market and so the WBP5115 must have been drawn up way before anyone even heard of the Rolex 'Sprite'.


Yeah right. But who cares, I think it looks pretty cool and as a bonus it doesn't have a stupid left-handed crown that makes it look like you've got it on upside down. Obviously I'd still much rather have the old 'slatted' dials and I really wish the GMT hand wasn't so damn shiny and plastic-looking, but even so it ain't half bad looking.

The 'Batman' looks nice too, although clearly the same criticisms apply, but it doesn't look quite as 'fresh', probably because it isn't. It's not a new colour combo and there's no getting away from that, but it still looks smart and I wouldn't turn it down if TAG Heuer wanted to gift me one (I keep saying this every so often,,, maybe one day they'll get the hint.🤣).


Unfortunately for the serious traveller, despite the new movements being COSC certified they are still what are called 'caller' GMTs. Caller (or 'Office') GMT's are better suited if you wish to display another time zone using the GMT hand whereas 'true' (or 'traveller') GMT's are better if you wish to display the local time using the normal hands and keep track of your 'home' time zone using the GMT hand.  

However, I suspect most customers for the GMT fall into the same camp as me - being far more interested in the look of the dual coloured ceramic bezel than the actual functionality. I must confess I have owned a 1500 Series GMT for over five years now and I have never once used the GMT for anything other than a 24hr marker... but then I haven't actually been out of the country since 2018, so that could explain that!


The 'Batman' is currently available on both the bracelet (£3650) and on a rubber strap (£3500). For the moment the 'Sprite' is only available on the bracelet, though I am sure you could order the FT6257 black rubber strap from the three hander if you really wanted to. Or perhaps you could wait and see if TAG Heuer decide to make a green rubber strap at some point I guess...

I have to say, despite my reservations about the dials and second hands, these definitely look like an improvement over the utterly forgettable blue/white GMT's (which are naturally now appearing at Bicester Village) and which never even got a nickname! Pfft. 


And so once again we come to the much valued verdict of the 'Council of Considered Opinion', but just before we do, I wanted to add that this will be the last 'First Impressions' post before the half-year review which is coming on July 3rd. Unfortunately that means you'll have to wait until after that for the Australian and Shanghai Carrera tourbillons and the Porsche 963 L/E Carrera.

Okay guys, over to you...





 
Batman/Bracelet - 7/10, Batman/Rubber - 7/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 7/10: "Both look great in videos & renders. However I don’t have a need for a GMT."

Batman/Bracelet - 8/10, Batman/Rubber - 7/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 9/10: "Always like the green but probably will get the non GMT one."

Batman/Bracelet - 9/10, Batman/Rubber - 9/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 9/10: "The Rolex comparisons may come but just because they made these bi-coloured bezels doesn’t mean all others are copies. The colour choices for these are very appealing to me. These should be great sellers."

Batman/Bracelet - 7/10, Batman/Rubber - 6/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 7/10: "The fantastic new dial goes a long way to distract from the hideous sacrilege of the WBP Seamaster. I’m not sure about the slightly cartoony hour hand, but overall the blue/black GMT looks good, it grabs me a lot more than the old blue/white and at 42mm might be the Goldilocks size. I look forward to trying the green, it seems more subtle than the green 43mm WAY series."

Batman/Bracelet - 6/10, Batman/Rubber - 6/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 6/10: "They are trying to step up the Aquaracer a bit, and I like that. The renders just don’t do anything for me."

Batman/Bracelet - 5/10, Batman/Rubber - 5/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 6.5/10: "GMT hand could have bigger/wider generally more distinctive from the second hand, but otherwise ok."

Batman/Bracelet - 4.5/10, Batman/Rubber - 4.5/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 4.57/10: "I like the GMT slightly better than the 3 handers. But the wavy dial is still a big negative for me."

Batman/Bracelet - 7/10, Batman/Rubber - 7.5/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 6/10: "Half a point more than for non-GMT versions."

Batman/Bracelet - 7/10, Batman/Rubber - 7/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 8/10: "The actual watch had a better colour than I saw in the picture. I think the quality has improved so much that these can match Tudor."

Batman/Bracelet - 7/10, Batman/Rubber - 7/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 8/10: "These are awesome new AR GMTs.Without the wart they'd almost perfect."

Batman/Bracelet - 8.5/10, Batman/Rubber - 8.5/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 9/10: "Very nicely done, with a particular call-out for the green one."

Batman/Bracelet - 6/10, Batman/Rubber - 6/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 6/10: "Traditionally I still struggle with diver GMTs… the wave pattern should’ve changed."

Batman/Bracelet - 4/10, Batman/Rubber - 4/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 4/10: "They are attractive, especially the green, but still using a caller GMT at this price point is just ridiculously lazy. When Longines now offer true flyer GMTs with equally nice finishing at half the price (not to mention microbrands at $1k or below with Miyotas) why anyone would consider these beyond simple looks doesn't make sense to me."

Batman/Bracelet - 8/10, Batman/Rubber - 7.5/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 8/10: "The rubber strap looks strange; the cyclops is 👎."

Batman/Bracelet - 4/10, Batman/Rubber - 3/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 4/10: "A bit too much, design-wise, going on here for me."

Batman/Bracelet - 9/10, Batman/Rubber - 9.5/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 8.5/10: "Blue GMT on rubber is the pick of the bunch for me, then Blue on bracelet, followed closely by Green on bracelet. Really liking this new iteration. Definitely a step up."

Batman/Bracelet - 9/10, Batman/Rubber - 9.5/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 8.5/10: "10/10 reserved for the Pink one…"

Batman/Bracelet - 7.5/10, Batman/Rubber - 6.5/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 7.5/10: "Aside from the Rolex inspired colourways, these turned out really nice. I like the shades of blue and green used in these models (assuming the renders are accurate)."

Batman/Bracelet - 8.5/10, Batman/Rubber - 8.5/10, Sprite/Bracelet - 9/10: "Love the sprite, particularly the magical green dial which sparkles when the light hits the dial."

No comments:

Post a Comment