Thursday 6 June 2024

FEATURE: My Top Ten Aquaracers by Jim Dollares


Anyone who knows Jim Dollares knows that he LOVES the Aquaracer. I mean, really LOVES it. And so it makes me very happy today to be able to bring you Jim's top ten Aquaracers; a list that has been literally months in the making. Because you see, the Aquaracer is teh serious business and not something to be taken lightly.🤣 No but seriously, when it comes to the Aquaracer I don't think anyone is quite as invested as Jim, so this is definitely a labour of love. Take it away Jimbo...


10. WBP208B.BF0631 Calibre 5 
Is this the big brother of the green goblin? No muted low key green, this is loud and makes no excuses for being bold and beautiful. Classic TAG Heuer soft cheap titanium, lack of finish and a price three times of what it should be. Despite this I feel the sexual attraction.



9. WBP2115.BA0927 Calibre 5 ('The Green Goblin')
A nice little adventure watch with polished centre links and polished clasp, I love a nicely scratched polished surface. The dial is magical. When the sun hits, the goblin comes to life.



8. WBP208D.BF0631 Calibre 5 (Watches of Switzerland L/E)
Despite the softest cheapest titanium ever created by mankind, lack of finish and a price three times of what it should be, I can't forget how I felt trying this one on. I love this weird thing. And I hate how much I like it.



7. WBP1112.FT6199 Solar Quartz ('The Greta')
A solar powered night diver, so good it should be in my collection in the future. Plus, it saves the planet with its solar panels because you know that if the temperature rises 2 degrees in the next 75 years earth will explode and we will all die. “The Greta” helps prevent this. Solar panels.



6. WAY108A.FT6141 Quartz ('The Night Diver')
The one and only best ever proper night diver. DLC coated grade 5 titanium. Full lume dial. Lumed bezel. Quartz that can take a proper beating.



5. WAY211B.FC6363 Calibre 5
My first love. Strong, elegant and cool summer vibes with a nice colourful blue bezel and black dial. you never forget your first love. Still to this day I revisit this ABTW article every now and then just to feel good about life https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tag-heuer-aquaracer-300m-ceramic-bezel-2015-watch-collection/



4. WAY208C.FC6383 Calibre 5 ('2016 Novelty')
This watch is so good that TAG Heuer Enthusiast Blog founder and C.O.C.O chairman, Mr. Carrier, is scared to even wear it, out of fear to mess up that perfectly executed DLC coating. But if there was one thing to wish for, I wish that Mr. Carrier would start giving his watches a nice nickname. What would be a suitable nickname for this black beast? The case is grade 5 titanium, which is the least you would expect in a Swiss luxury diver. In these modern times, surely a luxury watch brand would never use steel or grade 2 titanium for their coated watches.



3. WBP201C.BA0632 Calibre 5 ('The Ice diver')
The best daily wearer and the first Aquaracer in my collection. I can attest to the fact that it looks superb in any situation. The black gold-plated indices and hands sparkle as diamonds when catching the light. You can really tell that the WBP generation is a step up in terms of build quality and ‘premium’ feeling in the hand, compared to the WAY/WBD generation.



2. WAK2120.BB0835 Calibre 5 ('The Douchey WAK')
The douchey WAK is almost as good as the WBD. It clearly has a nicer and more fun shade of blue but too little gold on the bezel. Combining the two would be an ideal result.



1. WBD2120.BB0930 Calibre 5 ('The Douche Grail')
There has never been an Aquaracer as nice as this one. And the timing of me writing this is perfect because about two weeks ago I finally bought it. After longing for it for four years. I could have sex with this watch. Unlike shit watches like Longines Hydroconquest, this Aquaracer is plated with actual 18k yellow gold, not just gold coloured pretend gold shit plating like Longines, Tissot and other Swiss shitters use. I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for gold plated two-tone watches using yellow gold and a blue dial. Despite being my number one choice, there is still one thing I would like to see improved when (if ever?) TAG Heuer release their next douche diver; the dial should be a lot more vibrant and bright blue.

I suppose we can’t make a list of Aquaracers without talking about the elephant in the room. Aquaracers are among the most overpriced pieces in the world of rich Swiss watch companies. You don’t buy a TAG Heuer for the great value for money. You do it because it looks so damn sexy. Because it makes you feel so damn good in your hand. This is what the Aquaracer is. A way to feel the sensation of horological lust.


Thanks Jim, another wonderfully entertaining post... and don't forget you can check out the other special 'Aquaracer@20' posts by clicking on the banner below.



No comments:

Post a Comment