Thursday 22 August 2024

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Watches of Switzerland' Limited Edition Tourbillon Chronograph

 

Hot on the heels of the recent 'Swiss Alps' limited edition tourbillon we have this 'Watches of Switzerland' edition, which is rather harder to come by, limited as it is to just 10 pieces. With these two being released so close together it's hard not to compare them, and while the 'Swiss Alps' version brought to mind the TAG Heuer 'Pilot' this one definitely has a CH80 vibe to it. 


Unfortunately the tourbillon itself still looks a bit... messy, especially since it fouls the minute track at the bottom of the dial. This is also true of the 'Swiss Alps' version of course, but it's far less noticeable there due to the colour of said track. That said, this is still much preferable to the blue and green/teal versions, neither of which does anything for me.


The 'Watches of Switzerland Centenary Tourbillon' is available exclusively from WoS and comes in at a chunky £22,050. 

For me this is solid, but not quite as exciting as the 'Swiss Alps' version and I'm not too keen on that red ring around the edge somehow. It's still quite attractive though, so I'm going to score it a point less at 6/10.

And with all that said, let's turn it over to the Council of Considered Opinion...





8/10: "Looks great. minus 1 point for the Tourbillon. I would have preferred it to have been regular movement."

7.5/10: "Looks really nice. Wish it was a more realistic price though."

3.5/10: "The tourbillon blends a little better on this one, but still, I think the piece would look better without it." 

7/10: "It is a good looking piece. A strong 7 from me."

5/10: "I would buy this if it was in the Elegant 42mm case and didn’t have the Tourbillon."

5/10: "Not a bad looking watch but the tourbillon isn’t really needed for me, Watches of Switzerland doesn’t make it special enough for £22k, drop the fancy mechanism and get the price sensible(£5k?) it be good, so it’s 5/10."

5/10: "Another one? I can see they are trying to go upmarket more and more."

7.5/10: "Same score as for the Swiss Alps version. I like the strap less (I would prefer it perforated rally type like on the Swiss Alps version), but I like it in reverse panda and I like that it is limited to 10 pieces."

7/10: "Nice but not as nice as the Swiss Alps LE. I don't think the outer red ring stripe works for me."

5/10: "I'm not sure what these incessant LEs are indicative of… but methinks nothing good. This one is even more uninspired than the “Swiss Alps” one."

8/10: "I think different. The tourbillon matches the classic designs better than the skeletons."

5/10: "The same comments as the other one really with regards to the 12 gauge but I prefer the colour scheme of the Swiss Alps model so this one loses half a point."

8/10: "Nice colouring with just a pop of red - I like it."

6/10: "Doesn’t work for me."

9/10: "This is probably better than the blue one that came before it."

8/10: "I really like this one…it’s a 8/10 for me."

5/10: "It's ok and looks quite nice but I'm just not wow'd by it and for that price I want to be!

6/10: "Yes, this is.....OK. I like the red accents, but I feel like I've seen it before."

No comments:

Post a Comment