Saturday 29 June 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 12 Chronograph 'Boutique Edition'

CAW211N.FC6177

TAG Heuer Boutique, Cheshire Oaks 15th June 2019

This was the 'other' Monaco that I tried on last weekend in Cheshire Oaks, and again I really liked it. Some of you may remember that I put this at number six in my 'Top Six Monacos' post just over a year ago, but this was the first time I've been able to see it up close. Usually I'm not crazy about the radial hour markers on Monacos, I usually much prefer the horizontal kind, but here it definitely works; in fact I think with the vertical stripes the horizontal markers would probably look a little bit out of place. 

I'm still kind of struggling a little with the Monaco, I kinda like them but often feel they are too retro for me, especially the blue dial ones that are intrinsically linked to the 70s and the association with Steve McQueen, but this version doesn't feel too retro, despite the square case and leather strap, I feel the same way about the Gulf versions, they always look more modern to me even though they are supposed to represent something very 70s.


I'd like it if the dial was a little darker though, the render gives the impression that it's white and dark grey but in person it looks a lot lighter, almost silver. That is a shame for me, but I still like the watch despite that. I don't know if I'd buy it, with the choices in front of me on this day I'd definitely pay the extra £600 and take the Monaco 24 cased CAL2113, but this is still a great deal at £3300 (list price £4400), especially as this model is 'boutique only' anyway so you're unlikely to find it discounted 'new' elsewhere if you really want one.


The watch features the Calibre 12 movement (easily identifiable as the crown is on the right rather than on the left) and carries the TAG Heuer shield rather than the Heuer logo, both of these details appeal to me, but I'm still not 100% convinced that this is the Monaco for me. Maybe it's the leather straps? I'm not really a leather strap guy, and I'm afraid I detest the Monaco bracelet with a passion. To me a rubber strap looks wrong on a Monaco as well, so really it comes back to the textile strap as fitted to the CAL2113. It would be interesting to see this watch on that strap, as again I think it would give it that extra push towards the modern that might change my mind. Ah well, I can't afford either of them right now so I'll have plenty of time to think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment