Monday 1 July 2019

NOT BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer 2000 Sports 'Coke' Quartz Watch

WM1112

A few weeks ago I noticed a blue dial / blue bezel 2000 Sports on FineTime Watches, in fact I think I even wrote a post about it. As is all too often the case with these though, the bezel had some damage, and I believe I mentioned that while it was a nice looking watch I would much prefer the red / black 'Coke' variant. 

Well yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks (since I bought my last two watches, basically... I've been trying to stay off the site!) I had a browse on eBay and of course the first thing I noticed was this WM1112 2000 Sports bidding at £224 with just a few hours to go


Leaving aside whether buying another watch so soon is a good idea... (of course it is!), critically the bezel and crystal on this one look in good condition and what at first glance looks like a scratch is actually a hair that's been caught in the bezel, so... so far so good. But, what I don't like is that the original bracelet is missing. Yes the watch comes with five straps, a leather one, a rubber one, the shark mesh and two NATO straps. Not crazy about any of them personally but I'd probably have used the rubber one (and chucked the rest of them back on eBay) until I'd sorted ought the proper bracelet...

Actually, I'm not 100% sure but I believe there is a correct, complete bracelet on eBay for £100 O.N.O., which was good, but obviously meant that this needed to be picked up for not much more than the £224 it was going for to make it viable.


I watched the item for the rest of the day (not constantly, I do have better things to do... honest) and when it got to about 30 minutes to go it suddenly jumped up to £249. I did a bit of Googling and came up blank as far as alternative options go, but oddly for a watch that's pretty hard to find, when it has been sold it hasn't exactly set the world on fire. One was sold on eBay for something less than it's £330 asking price a few months back and one sold on MyTAG for £335, so £249 plus £100 for the bracelet less a few quid recouped for the straps... it wasn't leaving much headroom.


But all that said of course, I wanted it. So I crossed my fingers that I'd be able to get the bracelet a bit cheaper and made a bid in the dying seconds of £272.27, but the watch jumped up to £280 and I wasn't inclined (or able) to bid again and so this WM1112 was lost. 

At 37.5mm the watch is a little on the small side, but I still definitely want to add one of these to my collection sooner or later. Of course it would make things a lot easier if I could find it on the original bracelet though (as those other examples I mentioned were). I actually think the seller has been quite smart selling this with a collection of straps, because while they did nothing for me in lieu of the proper bracelet, I'm sure these contributed to the price paid at the end of the auction by whoever won it. I mean, it's entirely possible the buyer doesn't even realise that the original bracelet is missing...

I seem to remember these on eBay a year or two ago for £450 or more, but I'm not quite sure if the prices are actually falling or whether I'm just remembering lots that were overpriced and never would have sold in the first place. I must say I think I'd struggle to pay much over £400, as much as I like the bezel. But make no mistake, it's definitely on my 'list'. 

The 2000 Sports range (made up of three watches: a white dial/black bezel, a blue dial/blue bezel and this black/black-red version) is instantly recognizable, and I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be possible for TAG Heuer to re-invent this particular version using the quartz Aquaracer as a base and providing the option of either a bracelet or a fitted rubber strap? Could be a good seller for those not willing to stump up for the Calibre 5 Pepsi Aquaracer... or maybe just an interesting limited edition? Maybe I should talk to them about making a T.H.E. Limited Edition? I probably need a few more readers first mind... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment