Friday 25 September 2020

BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Kirium Quartz Watch

 
WL1116.FC6113

My long held affinity for the Kirium is well reported here on the 'TAG Heuer Enthusiast' blog, and perhaps some of you may remember the first post of this year which was a closer look at the WL1116 Kirium owned by Tom (Manager of the Bicester Village outlet store). In that post I said I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one some day and it seems like yesterday was my lucky day because not only did I find one in extremely good condition and at a very reasonable price, but it also came on a strap which ticked another box on my Kirium purchase wishlist.

That being said, the strap is looking a bit sorry for itself but that was clearly shown in the listing and was reflected in my offer! This was up for a reasonable £450, but having established that the cost of a replacement navy blue strap from TAG Heuer was £110, I decided to offer a respectable £375 instead. Perhaps I should have gone even lower; my offer was accepted within about ten minutes... oh well, it's still a damned good price if you ask me and the strap is still functioning, it's just that it does look a bit tired and cracked and it certainly isn't going to last all that much longer.


The watch was sold by H&T Pawnbrokers, which is a retailer I am familiar with as there is one of those just around the corner from where I work and also if my memory serves me correctly I previously purchased my blue dial 6000 from one of their eBay listings a couple of years ago. I can't fault them really; the watch is exactly as described, the photographs are 100% accurate and I on that basis I would totally recommend them to other buyers.

The polished steel is pretty much immaculate, as is the crystal. Really the only issue this watch appears to have is the aged leather strap. As I remarked when I was looking at Tom's WL1116 the dial is a gorgeous tone of dark blue and while this is my third TAG Heuer Kirium (fourth if you count the white dial one I bought and sent back a year or so ago) it's my first with the classic 'Mercedes' hands, which does give this one quite a different look.


The clasp seems to be in good working order and is reasonably comfortable - I must admit that was something I was a little concerned about given my history with clasps, but trying on the Kirium with the rubber strap at Bicester a few weeks ago gave me some reassurance there. I must admit when you first put it on it's a tiny bit irritating, but once it warms up with your body heat it seems to be fine.

I'm really rather impressed with this and I hope to add more leather straps to my collection going forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment