Saturday 19 September 2020

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Elegant' Carrera Heuer 02 Chronograph

 
CBN2011.BA0642

A new Carrera has arrived, yes... another one, they really are busting them out this year huh? Hot on the heels of the 44mm 'Sports Manufacture' models (I realise that everyone else just calls it the 'Sports' but I like to do things properly and that is what it was called when I first saw it written down so I'm sticking with that!) which, ahem, divided opinion on the Calibre 11 forum somewhat, we have this new range of 'Elegant' Carreras. 

I suppose 'Elegant' is a good word to describe these as it doesn't ascribe any potentially contentious attributes like 'Heritage' or 'Classic' might, but at the same time it does jar a little and brings to mind a certain motor manufacture of slightly dubious origins that likes to use the name 'Superb' for one of it's high end motors... but then again, I guess it does-what-it-says-on-the-tin and these certainly do look 'elegant'.


Perhaps too elegant for little old me. I have tried on the older Calibre 16 Carrera that this watch replaces and while I liked it very much I quickly concluded that it wasn't something I was ever likely to buy since it was a bit too stylish and dare I say it 'elegant' for my particular 'look'... (i.e. it wouldn't gel too well with my lime green and black Nikes)!

Fortunately the Calibre 11 Forum is populated by people for whom style and elegance is second nature and the response there has been pretty much universally positive. If you don't frequent the Calibre 11 forum (and if not, why not?), I can absolutely assure you that any largely positive response regarding a new watch is a rarity to say the least, but this new collection seems to have hit a home run - even with some of the steadfastly and willfully obstinate members (mentioning no names, Mr Orange). Nobody has even mentioned the vestigal running seconds counter at the '6' position, which is usually something that comes up with these 'two and a half' register Heuer 02 movement watches!

CBN2012.FC6483

There are four models in the initial release, although I wouldn't mind betting we will see additional dial colours in the coming months... (my money is on a green dial on a bracelet at some point, although how 'Elegant' that would look remains to be seen) and this is definitely one for the kind of customer who would have purchased a Calibre 1887 Carrera in the past. 

Speaking of the Calibre 1887 Carrera, those 'mushroom' chronograph pushers are a rallying cry for the cultivated Carrera owner and probably go at least some way to stimulating the general approval fluttering around the forum at the moment. I'm not a big fan if I'm honest, they have their place for sure, but these particular Carreras have pulled off a modern yet timeless look and as such the pushers seem a little fussy and antiquated to me.

CBN2010.BA0642

So you guys know that I have an issue with watch websites who offer no genuine opinions and merely parrot press releases, but since this is a genuinely new watch I feel I ought to at least offer something in the way of specifications. So here we go:

WATCH DIAMETER: 42mm

MOVEMENT: Heuer 02 chronograph with an 80 hour power reserve

DIAL COLOURS: Silver, Blue, Black and Anthracite

THICKNESS: 14.4mm

WATER RESISTANCE: 100 Metres (suitable for surface swimming, no diving)

CBN2013.FC6483

PRICING:

CBN2010.BA0642: Black dial on a bracelet - £4395

CBN2011.BA0642: Blue dial on a bracelet - £4395

CBN2012.FC6483: Anthracite dial on a brown leather strap - £4395

CBN2013.FC6483: Silver dial with gold details on a brown leather strap - £4550


I look forward to seeing these in the stores, but I look forward to seeing the Calibre 16 versions in the outlets even more - perhaps I might change my mind at the right price... :)


FURTHER READING: 

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Calibre 16 Carrera

CALIBRE 11 REVIEW OF THE NEW CARRERA 'ELEGANT'

No comments:

Post a Comment