Tuesday 3 September 2024

FEATURE: My Top Five 3000 Series

 

I've always had a soft spot for the 3000 Series, but it wasn't until I saw the watch above in the TAG Heuer Museum in 2018 that I really fell in love with it. Subsequently I collected three models, all of which have made my 'Top 5' as it happens, albeit I only currently own one of them. 

Truth be told there aren't that many 3000s, so these five cover a lot of what's available... 


5. Gold/PVD Quartz Chronograph

This was the third 3000 I bought, and I must admit there is a small part of me that regrets selling. But the movement was not in the best of health and definitely needed a service. Given that this one has an odd motor with 120 ticks per minute on the running seconds and the chronograph second hand I didn't fancy the bill for replacing it if it decided to die on me, so I decided to part ways with it. It does look cool, though I will admit I preferred looking at it to wearing it. I just never got used to wearing a watch that was predominantly gold (plated).



4. 236.006 PVD/Gold Quartz Chronograph

Perhaps a bit of a cop out this one since it's basically a reverse version of the watch above. This one was also available with a gold plated centre link which I must admit also appeals to me, but that's a very strong statement so I plumped for this slightly more tasteful version instead. 🤣



3. 934.206 Grey Dial Two Tone Quartz

This was the first 3000 Series that I bought, an eBay bargain as I recall... I really enjoyed owning this one but it was one that had to go when I decided to try and get my collection down to a sensible number. The gold was still pretty sound for a thirty plus year old watch and I liked the large black logo on the dial much more than the red/green one that eventually replaced it.



2. 932.206 Grey Dial Steel Quartz 

This is the only 3000 Series I still own and it's probably one that I will keep forever. I would have no problem paying for a replacement movement for this one if it was necessary, even though I sometimes wonder if I need it when I have several Aquaracers I could wear instead. Again this was latterly available with a red/green dial logo so I'm glad that mine has the large white printed logo as it looks far more elegant.



1. 936.006SB Japanese PVD 'Heuer' Edition Quartz

Bit of an odd one this one, since it only seems to have been available in Japan and even though it appears in the 1989 Japanese catalogue still carries the 'Heuer' branding on the dial. I can only assume they found some black Heuer dials in a drawer and decided to use them up, because back then 'Heuer' branding just wasn't a thing like it is now. Regardless of this, this one looks amazing... and if I could find one in mint condition with a 7.1/2" bracelet I would almost certainly buy it. 

2 comments:

  1. Number one is an interesting and wild one. Would it not be nice to see black coated bracelets from TAG Heuer in 2024?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would. There's only been one I can think of recently, that was an Ayrton Senna Carrera with a black link bracelet.

      Delete