Wednesday 18 September 2024

OWNED: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Green Dial


It's been a few months over a year since I picked up my WBP2115 from the TAG Heuer boutique in Sheffield and in typical fashion it's been a journey of mixed emotions. When I found out there was going to be a new green dial Aquaracer I was right on it, desperate to avoid a repeat of the WAY2015 debacle. Actually there was no need to rush as even now it's perfectly possible to walk into an AD and pick up a WBP2115, but I didn't know that at the time.

Truth be told, when I went to buy it I was less than sure about it. It certainly wasn't love at first sight... but I'd made such a fuss about getting it, badgering Maxine at TH Sheffield regularly until it arrived that I felt rather obligated to buy it. Not that I actively disliked it, but it certainly wasn't a Chronotimer or Grand Carrera Caliper situation where I gazed lovingly at it all the way home... maybe it was just that I'd wanted the WAY2015 for so long and this didn't look quite the same - because, well it isn't!


For a start it's 3mm smaller, and the green dial is much less 'in your face'... at least from pictures I've seen, because the truth is I still have never actually seen a WAY2015. And of course the bezel is quite different, lacking the grips found on the older Aquaracers. This is one aspect of the WBP2115 that I'm still not entirely sold on, though I must admit that so far it hasn't proved to be an issue and despite a reasonable amount of wrist time remains entirely (and surprisingly) scratch free.

I know a lot of people feel that 43mm is too big on the wrist, but I've never had an issue with any of my other Aquaracers so that really didn't bother me. But I have to say that maybe this design works better in a slightly smaller size because far from being the rugged tool-watch they'd like you to think of it as, it's actually quite dressy. The green dial appears very dark for most of the time and you really have to catch the light right to get the full effect and the polished centre link certainly wouldn't be my first choice for 'outdoor' use.


I actually don't mind the polished centre link, though I must admit at first it rankled a bit. But then I realised that my yellow dial Calibre S Aquaracer has the same and that never bothered me so I got over it. What I do not like one little bit is the stupid polished centre section of the clasp. I mean what idiot came up with that? Oh yeah, sure in the boutique it looks cool, but wear it sitting at a desk for a couple of days and see how cool it looks then. 

To my eyes it still looks like the end-links don't fit the lugs properly, which considering this bracelet was designed to fit this watch is a bit odd.. and I don't like the fact that the watch doesn't have a lume pip on the bezel (which means this particular range of Aquaracers can't actually be considered 'dive' watches). It's also pretty lame that this watch features an old school three hole clasp instead of the new adjustable version found on the 43mm models.


So considering all the things that I don't like about it, how is it still not only on my Top Ten Aqaracers shortlist, but vying for the number one spot? Well, because when the light hits the watch and dial just right it puts it into a different league. Not only is the green utterly magnificent, but the hands and hour markers have an undeniable quality and aesthetically pleasing edge to them that makes this one of the best Aquaracers ever made. Honestly I still don't know what my Top Ten Aquaracers are going to be, and this could just as easily come in at number five as number one, but it's certainly in with a shout. 
 
I'd love to see the WBP2115 side by side with its WAY counterpart, if only to put my mind at rest. At first I justified to myself that this was the best option given the prevalence of fake WAY2015s out there, not to mention the high prices being asked for (presumably) genuine pieces from reputable sellers... but now I wonder if I would swap? The darker green dial feels a bit more.... luxe, and I already own a WAY series Aquaracer, so maybe it all worked out for the best.



2 comments:

  1. The emerald green WAY is gorgeous, I get hard just thinking about it /Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you've seen it... more than I have.

      Delete