Thursday 12 September 2024

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Pink' Calibre 7 Watch

 

I think it goes without saying that this Carrera was never going to receive the same warm welcome as the very recent 'Ice Blue' version of the same watch from the decidedly male-dominated Council of Considered Opinion. I mean not only does it have a pink second hand, outer dial ring and strap, but it also has every girl's worst nightmare - a Mother of Pearl dial and a diamond inner bezel! 

The horror.


But if we take a step back and acknowledge that this is definitely a 'ladies' watch (no matter how much current nonsense-thinking wants us to consider it 'unisex'...) the fact is that the only two female members of the COCO council scored it a 7.5 and a 9. So while some might protest the cliched use of colour, gems, gold and M.O.P. I think for at least some members of the fairer sex this is probably quite an attractive proposition.


Personally I think the pink is just a little too much and using it on the dial and second hand as they have severely limits the choice of strap colours you could use with this one should you tire of the pink aesthetic. As such after considerable thought I have given this one a score of 5.5/10. 

But what does the rest of the Council think about? Let's find out..





7/10: "Our salesperson thought my wife might like it, as she loves her pink "Barbie" Carrera. She rates the Barbie a 10, but this one a 7. She likes the pink colourway & diamonds but doesn't care for MOP or croc straps."

2/10: "That shade of pink makes me uncomfortable… diamonds, mop, weird fleshy pink strap."

7.5/10: "Blimey! I would prefer a rubber strap and not normally a fan of a MOP dial but this works! A blingtastic 7.5/10."

4/10: "What I have with blue I don't have with pink. And diamonds!"

7/10: "Pretty for a ladies watch."

3/10: "Wife thought that wasn’t bad but the strap spoils it."

4/10: "Nice strap, but you know that I don't like MOP or diamonds on a watch, not even on a ladies watch..."

7/10: "To my eye, all the elements work well together. It's got it all going on and I love it!"

3/10: "All the usual women's watch cliches... mother of pearl dial, diamonds, pink, gold accents. Not much to see here. The pink second hand only works because it matches the strap, so I guess you're stuck with that colour scheme also."

9/10: "I love this, if it wasn't for the rose gold would have scored a 10 so it’s 9/10."

2/10: "Wow! I am confused! TAG Heuer release that super cool Blue dial WBN2316 Carrera which many of us would consider in a larger size…but then this monstrosity of old school thinking is released straight after. I guess that’s the balance of the universe being demonstrated perfectly. I gave the blue an 8, so I will balance that with a 2/10 for this one.

9/10: "Wow this is beautiful. A strong 9 from me."

3/10: "Meh. Too much going on here: diamonds, MOP, pink accents, and what appears to be rose gold."

7/10: "Nice strap and sweeping second hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment