Wednesday 8 December 2021

BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Watch

WA1210

I've always been a little unsure about the red/blue colour-scheme on the classic Formula 1; it's quite hard to photograph well and it often looks like the red is almost unreadable against the dark blue background. But my favourite Japanese eBayer listed this one and it coincided with my trigger finger itching to buy something (even though I've been trying to save for something 'bigger'). Well, this was only £149 so I figured the damage wouldn't be too significant and like clockwork ten days later I got my usual 'package' from Japan with this beauty inside.


Seeing it in the flesh for the first time totally put me at ease as it looks much better in person than I'd expected. In fact this could be one of my favourite 'classic' Formula 1 pieces. Condition as always is superb, the only slight negative being a bit of plastic 'blooming' on the buckle, but the strap is easily replaceable for £32 if I decide to do so (I probably won't as apart from that it is in excellent condition).


The lume pip is still present in the bezel and the bezel itself is also in a very good state. The seller had two of these on sale at the same price but one of them had a slightly damaged bezel and I was a little nervous that he would palm me off with the lesser of the two pieces, but no 'Spirit*Age' behaved impeccably as always and I got exactly the watch I bid on.


And so my collection of classic F1s continues to creep towards completion. I'm up to 13 now and I'm not too sure how many more there are to collect, but probably not too many (if we ignore all the special editions that keep turning up in Japan). I keep looking out for the navy blue and cream one, there was one on eBay the other day and I was excited for a moment but it turned out to be offered 'for spares and repairs'. Bah! Oh well, the search will continue... 

No comments:

Post a Comment