Tuesday 7 February 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Aquaracer 40mm Quartz Chronographs

 
CBP1110.BA0627                 CBP1111.BA0627                 CBP1112.BA0627

It's been a few years since we've had an Aquaracer with a chronograph function in the range. It seemed like for a while there TAG Heuer decided that a dive watch should be a dive watch and on a dive watch a chronograph function was more of a liability than an asset (more holes in the case to waterproof). But of course, the new 200 Professional Aquaracers are not actually 'dive' watches, but 'outdoor' watches, a subtle distinction that presumably validates the re-introduction of the chronograph to the range. I guess we'll see if that explanation holds water (no pun intended) if TAG Heuer decide to reintroduce the Calibre 16 or Heuer 02 movement into the 43mm case...?


In the meantime, if you desperately desire an Aquaracer complete with an additional timekeeping facility, then you are limited to the new CBP range which are currently available in three colours: black, silver and unusually a very pale, icy blue which I'm intrigued to see in real life because it kinda looks like the blue found on the WBP1415 ladies Aquaracer from last year. 

It's not a bad looking watch, though I'm not too sure if the subdials aren't just a tiny bit big for the dial? I don't think it's a dealbreaker and it's something that you probably wouldn't notice after a short time and on balance too big is probably better than too small. I do like that they used black to outline the hands and hour markers on the silver and blue versions, they need that extra definition I think.


Bringing the 12 O'clock hour date back to the Aquaracer range is an interesting choice. It's not something that overly appeals to me if I'm honest, but at least with a split window you won't be trying to see past the chrono second hand. 

The light blue is a curious choice, but it's nice to see them trying something different. I'm sure there will be a darker blue along within a year or two, it seems a bit of a no brainer. Who knows, maybe TAG Heuer have stumbled onto  the next cool colour before the trend hits? Well, probably not... but at least it's not the same old predictable stuff.


I'm sure these will be easily accessible in stores around the country so I'm not going to say too much about them until I've had them on the wrist. In the meantime let's find out what the C.O.C.O. Council thinks about these three... (bit of a lacklustre response for these to be honest, only about 2/3rds of the members gave scores).



CBP1110.BA0627 (Black Dial): 6.0 / 10 

96 / 16 = 6.0

CBP1111.BA0627 (Silver Dial): 6.5 / 10

104.5 / 16 = 6.53 (Rounded down to 6.5)

CBP1112.BA0627 (Blue Dial): 6.8 / 10
 
109.5 / 16 - 6.84 (Rounded down to 6.8)


Silver/Black/Blue 6/10: "Design wise I like it. I wouldn't buy it, but I got no complaint over it."

Silver/Black/Blue 6/10: "Dial is too busy, Would have been better with the date "hidden" in the 6 o'clock -subregister."

Silver/Black/Blue 7.5/10: "The 40mm size makes these a winner for me. The blue dial will make for a great summer watch. My choice for a daily would be the black. I hope these sell well and be the beginning of more 40mm chronographs from TAG Heuer."

Silver/Black/Blue: 8/10: "I remember that my first TAG Heuer which is the 1st generation Aquaracer Chrono Automatic is 41mm and that watch wears comfortably. This 40mm Aquaracer would probably be the same and a bit lighter due to the Quartz movement. A lot of Aquaracer fans are not really limited to the “3-Hand Dive Watch Must” concept so I’m pretty good with a chrono. It becomes a more useable all-go, no-nonsense tool watch. Quality wise, top notch. The only issue is pricing and puts TAG Heuer in a conundrum. TH prices it too affordable and becomes Marmite for watch enthusiasts. TH prices it too expensive and becomes the “hate” of YouTubers."

Silver/Black/Blue 7/10: "It is excellent that a quartz chronograph is available as an entry watch. My first watch was a quartz chronograph, the CAF1010."

Silver 8/10, Black 7/10, Blue 7/10: "Those watches are another evidence, that the brand is well aware of its heritage and knows how to incorporate style elements from the past into modern pieces."

Silver 7/10, Black 6.5/10 & Blue 7.5/10: "Having seen it in real life, the blue / lilac dial is my favourite because it is unusual and the black accents around the markers work really well. I think it may be more suited to a lady though."

Silver 8/10, Black 7/10, Blue 7/10: "Just don’t think they set it off quite as good as silver, Good result TAG Heuer."

Silver 5.5/10, Black 5/10, Blue 6/10: "Size is good. The blue and the silver look nicest, possibly the blue edging things, but I do find the dial a little cramped. I'm just not a fan of chronograph divers full stop to be honest. The pushers compromise it as a dive watch imo. I like the brushed steel bezel on these models. Dislike the polished elongated chrono pushers and the double date window at 12 o'clock. The biggest issue is the price and that they're quartz."

Silver 9/10, Black 5/10, Blue 9/10: "Blue is a solid 9, wow what a perfect shade of blue, on a super sexy Aquaracer. Love the big date. Silver is a solid 9. Black is a 5 because, you know, black dials are the most boring thing."

Silver 5/10, Black 4/10, Blue 6/10: "As already others have said, the dial is quite busy due to the date display. With the silver and the blue it is the least noticeable, but with the black I find it really ugly. Pushers are too big. I like the bezel and the overall finish of the watch. Again, that date venster dasnt look good."

Silver 6.5/10: The silver dial is nice but I'm not wowed by it. I like how they have framed the hands and hour markers - however, I'm not too keen on the big date at 12-o'clock. Black 7/10: I really do like it. I prefer the black dial to the silver but again not keen on the date window. However I do like that it's a negative date display. Blue 7/10: Bizarrely, for me I think this is my favourite of the three. I quite like the sunray blue dial for a change. As with the silver dial version, I think the black surround on the hands and markers looks great.


No comments:

Post a Comment