Sunday 19 February 2023

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Quartz Chronographs

 
CBP1112.BA0627                                          CBP1110.BA0627

TAG Heuer Boutique & Goldsmiths / Meadowhall, Sheffield 28th January 2023

While trying on the Watches of Switzerland Limited Edition Carrera Elegant Panda (which I reviewed a couple of weeks ago) I noticed that the downstairs Goldsmiths in Meadowhall (for there are two) had one of the new Aquaracer chronographs in a small display cabinet set into the wall. It had a bright spotlight shining on it and when I took it from the salesman it felt extremely warm, but I guess since this is an 'outdoor explorer's watch that's ready for anything you can throw at it' that shouldn't do it any harm... 

I will admit I was slightly disappointed that the only one they had was the black dial one, as this is perhaps the least interesting of the three. But still it was nice to finally get a new Aquaracer chronograph on the wrist after a few years without one in the catalogue and looking at it objectively it is a smart looking watch.


Size wise it felt okay (not too small), and it does rather remind me of my 2000 Exclusive black dial chronograph (which is an Aquaracer by another name), albeit that one has the date at the 4:30 position rather than at 12. I'm not really sure how I feel about this renewed interest in 12 o'clock date windows. I've never really been a big fan, but it seems like now that TAG Heuer have broken away from the classic 3 o'clock date they are running with it and sticking them here there and everywhere.

Fortunately the TAG Heuer boutique on the upper floor was able to help as they had all three in stock, including the one I really wanted to see which was the one with the 'ice blue' dial, or as my wife likes to call it 'the lilac one'. Because yes, there's no denying that it does have a hint of 'lilac' about it, which does make it look a bit feminine. Or 'gender fluid' perhaps... personally I wouldn't be at all surprised if a large percentage of these end up on ladies' wrists, especially since 40mm seems to be perfectly acceptable for a lady these days. 


Despite that I did quite like it, albeit I wouldn't buy it... especially not with my wife sitting next to me telling me it looks 'girly'. And I must admit I would struggle to pay £2200 for a quartz chronograph that will probably turn up on Watchfinder within a year for £400 less. But even so, it's not a bad watch and I do like that they used the black hands and hour marker surrounds for the silver and blue models to give more contrast against the dials. And speaking of the dials, I still think the subdials are just a tad too big. The dial isn't massive and it really doesn't feel like there's a whole lot of room on there what with the the large date, the TAG Heuer logo and the three subdials taking up all the real estate. 

All in all, I can't honestly say that these are for me. On paper I thought the ice blue version was an interesting variation, but the lilac tone of it in person is definitely something of a deal breaker: though I applaud TAG Heuer for trying something different and not just feeding us the standard diet of black, sliver and dark blue. I think in actual fact I would place them in the order silver best (ironically the only one of the three that I didn't try on), blue second best and black third, if only because the black feels massively 'safe' and a little but boring, but then I feel like this watch is probably designed for a customer who probably wants something 'safe'. In general I am not a fan of the term 'mall watch' but to be honest the black one kinda feels a little bit that way...


LINK TO THE BLACK DIAL CBP1110.BA0627 ON THE TAG HEUER WEBSITE:

LINK TO THE SILVER DIAL CBP1111.BA0627 ON THE TAG HEUER WEBSITE:

LINK TO THE ICE BLUE CBP1112.BA0627 ON THE TAG HEUER WEBSITE:

No comments:

Post a Comment