Wednesday 15 November 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Heuer Monaco 'SKP/China' Calibre 11 Limited Edition

CAW211AC.FC6550

If you're thinking this Monaco looks kinda familiar, then you're not wrong. Back around 2016-2018 when I was a (very) regular visitor to the TAG Heuer outlets at Bicester Village and Cheshire Oaks you could barely escape without seeing a Monaco CAW211C; but of course they've long since gone and so it was rather a surprise to see these pop up again with a slightly different part number and as a limited edition of 23 for the Chinese market (and only available from three 'SKP' stores).


Why 23 you might ask? Well, honestly I have no idea. Maybe TAG Heuer found 23 CAW211C dials lurking in a drawer somewhere and voila, an idea was born? Haha. Well probably not, but if the rumours are true I believe there are 25 'Las Vegas Grand Prix' Monacos coming this weekend that basically look just like this one too... which is a little unimaginative honestly, but since they are specifically targeted at different markets I suppose it's okay. 

Quite why there's this sudden renaissance for the silver and orange Monaco I've no idea but personally I've always quite liked these so I don't really have any objection to this little resurrection. 


The differences between the old and new watches seem to be the caseback, the caseback crystal (now printed 'CHINA LIMITED EDITION - ONE OF 23' and the strap, so not a great deal - but since the original CAW211C predated the formation of the Monaco loving 'Council of Considered Opinion' it should be interesting to see how they rate this one. 





6.5/10: "A model that I actually already had on the wrist - without being swayed (the subdials don’t really “pop”)… a (rather solid) 6.5/10 (the half an extra point is for the strap)."

8.5/10: "There is much to like here."

8/10: "Everything about this Monaco is great. Love the color scheme and overall look. I would've given it a 9, but have to deduct a point since it's basically a redo of the CAW211C."

9/10: "A good looking combination of colours and minimalistic shades."

7/10: "Simple and solid. But as always, I like the classic indices better."

8.5/10: "It’s a very nice Monaco with the crown on the left side (I like it this way), with a nice new strap with orange stitching matching the orange accents on the dial… but I like other Monacos more than this one, so I can’t give it more than 8.5/10."

7/10: "Looks cool to me, a bit lazy being a rehash of an older design. 7/10 due to rehash - I would score the original 8/10."

7/10: "Seems a lazy rehash, but still visually appealing."

8.5/10: "I like this, bigger contrast on the sub dials would be better, but ok."

7/10: "Interesting. Although it's not my colour of choice."

8/10: "Everything about this Monaco is great. Love the color scheme and overall look. I would've given it a 9, but have to deduct a point since it's basically a redo of the CAW211C."

7.5/10: "Well executed version. I like the dial. Nice and peaceful appearance."

7/10: "This is pretty cool too. I agree that it’s the calming appearance that goes under the radar at first glance but then draws you in when looking at the detail. Great strap and nicely done with the stitching to tie into the lume."

7/10: "I am giving this one a 7/10, and I would have scored higher (such as 8/10) but for the rehash of prior design."

9/10: "I was offered one of these, but passed, since I have the original CAW211C."

1 comment:

  1. What is worse than a Monaco? A 7 year old Monaco sold as something new, props to TAG Heuer for screwing with their customers :)

    ReplyDelete