Friday 3 November 2023

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Porsche 'Chronosprint' Calibre TH20-08 Chronograph

CBS2011.FC6529

TAG Heuer Boutique / London, 28th October 2023

You know, I may not have mentioned it before, but I really don't like the 39mm glassbox Carreras. But the 42mm ones aren't so bad and this one in particular is actually not bad at all. I've definitely said before that you will never really know if you like a watch until you get it on your wrist, and in this case that is 100% true. I really wasn't expecting to enjoy the gimmicky/clever (delete as applicable) chronograph on this one being that I am a miserable old man with no soul, but damn me if it wasn't rather entertaining. Kind of... 


Yeah, it's fun to watch the hand accelerate to top speed and hit the ten second mark before gradually slowing down, but the awful wait of the last thirty seconds is so painfully slow, it makes you want to reset the chrono and start it again (which is what I expect most people will be doing, over and over again). Having the watch in the hand it does show that the chronograph is still fully functionable - but as I suspected, much harder to use due to the non-conventional layout. Still, I have to give TAG Heuer massive props for doing something somewhat avant garde for once, more of that sort of thing would be a step in the right direction I think.


But I can't help but think I'd like this even more with a conventional bezel and a flat glass. I mean I suppose it's a point of difference and again I should applaud them for thinking outside the box, it's just that the end result somehow doesn't appeal to my delicate sensibilities. Also I have to say my photograph doesn't seem to be doing it any favours with that creamy dial tone - I don't recall it looking like that in person, at least I hope it didn't!


The funny thing was, the sales lady (Ingrida) reminded me it was 42mm and I (having something of a senior moment) thought to myself 'Umm no, I don't think so' but I didn't say anything, but then I tried on the new gold panda and I was shocked all over again, because of course she was right. It may well be 42mm, but it wears smaller (as does the 39mm of course, comically so) and I still think if I was going to buy a current 42mm Carrera it would be either the blue or black one with the orange/red swoosh around the perimeter (incidentally I notice Watchfinder have one in stock at £3900 which will be a nice saving for someone!). 


Also I really think TAG Heuer need to find some way of making their straps more interesting. These are so dull and stamping '911' into it does very little to upscale it, it looks like the sort of thing you'd get in a motorway service station honestly. But overall, I think my general impression was good and I think maybe it might have gone up just a tad in my estimation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment