Friday 5 January 2024

FEATURE: My Top Ten Aquaracers by BP Smith


As part of our 20th Anniversary celebrations for the Aquaracer, this year I will be inviting various people to choose their top ten models and who knows, maybe at the end of the year we can compile a shortlist and perhaps vote to decide the ultimate Aquaracer? We'll see. First out of the gate (and with tremendous enthusiasm it must be said) comes THF Forum & C.O.C.O. Council member BP Smith.

Incidentally, if you would like to play along you can access a visual library of every Aquaracer ever made by following this link: ALL THE AQUARACERS

BEN: Hello everyone, being an avid reader of THE Blog, plus a major Aquaracer fan, I was more than happy to get involved with picking my Top 10 all time Aquaracer pieces. After whittling it down to a “Shortlist” of 32, there were quite a few desirable options which were sadly dropped, but here’s my final 10…

10. WAY108A.FT6141 (Night Diver Quartz)

My first pick is the 'Night Diver' quartz model a watch I have nearly bought on multiple occasion's. I picked the quartz version as, whilst I generally prefer the teak board dials of the automatic, this one just looks so much cleaner. The added advantage would be that this would be my GADA piece that’s always the right time should I just want to throw it on after not wearing for a little while. I am very unlikely to pick this one up now, as recently bought the 40th Anniversary Carbon G-Shock Square, which covers this scenario perfectly.


9. WAJ2150.BA0870 Calibre 5 Automatic

This is one of many of the WAJ models which were on my shortlist, so I decided to narrow it down to only one for my Top 10. Picked this one as it reminds me of another piece which I find myself drawn to a lot, which is the Omega X33 Marstimer. Yes, this doesn’t have the dual analogue and digital setup which that has, but it still reminds me of the colour scheme used. So many other options in the WAJ series too!


8. CAF1010.BA0821 - Chronotimer Quartz

Number 8 and number 9 are both examples of two older pieces which draw my attention every time I see them. They are what I see as more industrial in design. This one combines analogue and digital, which many people may not like, but I think it’s very well done and I would have been very tempted if this was around when I first joined this hobby.


7. WAY208D.FC8221 - Calibre 5 Automatic

A bit of a Marmite (other brands are available) piece this one. I have almost bought this a good few times, as seen it on sale online, but I have not had the chance to see this one in person, so have not taken the risk. Let’s face it, it’s a proper bonkers design which is made all the more nuts by the strap matching the dial. I just love the fact that you would be very unlikely indeed to see anyone else rocking this one! Never say never, as it can be found still, if you look in the right place…


6. WAY208C.FC6383 - Calibre 5 Automatic

Again, another one of Rob’s favourites. If only he gave it some more wrist time. Such a subtly brilliant mix of colours, all made special by the PVD coating and contrasting strap. Really like this one.


5. WBP2115.BA0627 - Calibre 5 Automatic

Does this one need many words of explanation? Absolutely great example of how the Aquaracer can be pushed a bit smarter with the colour choice, switching to the steel bezel and bringing in the polished linked bracelet. Only let down by not having on the fly adjustment to the bracelet…oops, I said it.


4. WAY201P.FT6178 - Calibre 5 Automatic

Marmite again for this one. Tried it on numerous times and ended up buying my Seamaster as my first watch. It went on sale soon after and I was tempted, but I had already bought my “one and done” so didn’t buy this one. It was very cheekily priced and I know I should have bought it, considering I now have five watches, despite only intending to get just the one! The one they had in my AD was great looking, but I can see why some people don’t take to it, as I have seen two others since and they had a slightly different tone of blue to the bezel, with the pattern not being so aesthetically pleasing.


3. WBD218A.FC6445 - Carbon Collection Calibre 5 Automatic

I have very nearly bought this one a few times too. Love the black case, the Carbon print dial and the swirling Carbon bezel. Gold indices and hands give this more of a smarter feel, which is then toned down by being on a strap. Very cool.


2. WBP201F.BA0632 - Calibre 5 Automatic

This is the one I did go for, after also loving it on release. I sat back for a bit and couldn’t decide between this or the Blue/White GMT version. Went with this one and glad I did. The GMT did make my 32 piece “Shortlist” but I ended up dropping it from my Top 10 as there were others I would buy before it. This is my shaky accounting bit, where I drop in an honourable mention for the WAJ1113.BA0870, as the similarities are clear and it's also very cool, but I wouldn’t buy both.


1. WBP1112.FT6199 - Solargraph Quartz

I loved this one the moment it was released. I hounded my AD and chased TAG Heuer for ages and it just didn’t surface, so I never ended up buying it. I would still like to, but now have 2 other Carbon pieces, so seems unlikely that I will ever get this one. Still giving it the top spot.


HONOURABLE MENTIONS

I also have 4 from the Ladies range which I think are excellent too, plus one more older 41mm to add.


WBP231J.BA0618 - Calibre 5 Automatic

I would definitely buy this one if it was in the larger size.


WAY1395.BH0716   WAY1321.BH0743   WAY1355.BH0716

Regarding the WAY1395 - I would have picked the white ceramic version (WAY1396) but from photos the bezel and dial seem to have a  mismatched greyish tint to them compared to the case that I don't like so I decided to switch to the black instead.


WAK2121.BB0835 - 41mm Calibre 5 Automatic


Great stuff - thanks to Ben for picking his Top 10 Aquaracers; clearly the guy has excellent taste when it comes to Aquaracers, since he picked 4 of the 5 Aquaracers I own plus one or two that I've thought about buying more than once.🤣 But seriously, a great start to our year of celebrations and I am already looking forward to seeing what other people will pick as their top ten. Actually I have a feeling there will be a reasonable amount of consensus and most of them will come from the last few years. As for me, I've got my shortlist down to 13, but no doubt I will think of something else I've forgotten... 


NB - I will be using the label AQUARACER@20 for Aquaracer articles posted this year, you can click on the label to find all the other related articles.


2 comments:

  1. Aquaracer > Carrera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are some good picks! That WBP201F is a true stunner.

    ReplyDelete