Tuesday 13 February 2024

FEATURE: Will 2024 Bring The First Ever Carbon Cased Formula 1?

 

You know, a few weeks back I toyed with the idea of writing a 'predictions' post for 2024. I've never actually done one before, largely because I was already 'in the know' (so to speak) thanks to information sent to me from a far away land. It would be a bit pointless making things up that I knew didn't exist and I never wanted to leak anything, because that's never been what this blog is about. But this year it seems the pigeon died on the way over and so apart from a few tidbits here and there gleaned from the interwebz I am largely in the dark. Yes, I have heard some rumours but what I want to talk to you about today is not something I have any genuine information on, so I could be massively off target. On the other hand if I'm right then rest assured I wasn't trying to pass off 'knowledge' as insight. 

So while I was showering earlier this evening my mind drifted to thinking about the idea of a new 'cheap' Formula 1 for 2024. I mean, everyone is expecting something what with all the articles in the press about how great the original resin cased quartz F1 was (although don't tell the Heuer fanbois that or they'll have your guts for garters) and it seems like everyone is expecting TAG Heuer to do a Moonswatch on us with something cheap, cheerful and in a range of colours in the sub £500 price bracket. 


I don't actually think that's gonna happen. Mainly because it rakes up a part of TAG's history that they don't really want to go back to. Yes the original Formula 1 was massively successful and a big part of why the company survived and flourished after nearly going bankrupt and being sold. But in the present day TAG Heuer is pushing itself upmarket with ever higher prices and so to release something 'cheap' like a Moonswatch would be totally off-message. Besides, the whole Swatch thing seems to have fallen pretty flat with the Blancpain Swifty Fathoms so it probably doesn't even seem as great an idea as it did twelve months ago. 

Also, let's not forget, former TAG Heuer CEO Frederic Arnault was asked about the possibility of a return for the classic Formula 1 last year and while brushing the question aside he said if they did do it it would have to be special and limited. Which brings me on to my prediction. When you think about what Frederic said, would it not make sense for TAG Heuer to make a limited edition carbon cased Formula 1, perhaps using the classic case shape but in a larger size?


This being black in colour, would it not then make sense for them to fit it with a full lume dial as per some of the original models and then perhaps offer a selection of rubber straps in bright colours to further connect this new model to the past (kinda like those very Formula 1-esque Breitling Endurance Pros). When it comes to the movement I would imagine the watch, while looking a lot like the 80s models on the surface, would contain a standard Calibre 5 movement or perhaps more logically a solar quartz - now that really would be something, though I don't know if a full-lume solar dial is possible? But then they've just launched a solar quartz 'mother or pearl' dial and I didn't think that would be possible either.

As for price, my guess would be that the watch would probably be pitched between £2500 and £3500 (bearing in mind that the Breitling Endurance Pro is currently £2800) but hopefully no more than that - but these days who knows! I think honestly that would disappoint a lot of people who are hoping for a £400 Formula1 but to be honest I think that's never gonna happen. Like I said, I'm guessing... and I could be way off the mark, but that makes much more sense to me than some sort of cheap cash-in. 

Now that I've said all that you can bet your bottom dollar TAG will release a cheap plastic quartz Formula 1 at 'Watches & Wonders' now... thankfully you'll have all forgotten this post by then and I can pretend it never happened (posts can be deleted you know!). 🤣


5 comments:

  1. TAG is trying to repair their image in the eyes of the watch community. I don’t think they would even consider a $500 plastic watch at this point. The Moonswatch was (barely) passable because it wasn’t an Omega release, but a collaboration. Just my grumpy opinion lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great read as always! This was a super fun thought experiment. I would love to see a $500-$1000 f1 reissue. Though I can’t say I’d buy one. I’d probably just buy a $250 original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with the original (as much as the WIS keep telling us that smaller watches are the way to go) is that the original F1s are a bit small. Hell 34mm is where the new MOP Aquaracers are at now, it would be nice if they made something similar but maybe 40mm.
      Rob

      Delete
  3. Hello. I would love to see a more Premium small diver or a new link7 with striking colours. Also the carrera could get new dials like the teal and finally a movement Update.

    ReplyDelete