Saturday 6 July 2024

FEATURE: My Top Ten Aquaracers by Imagwai

 

Once again in this 20th Anniversary year for the Aquaracer it's time to invite a COCO member to choose their top ten and this month it's our old friend Imagwai/Charlie M's turn. Unfortunately for various reasons Charlie wasn't able to supply text with his choices, so I will supply the commentary for his selections today. Yay!  

Oh and I suppose I should mention that Charlie submitted these to me a while back, before the new wave dial Aquaracers came out. But judging by his scores for those I don't honestly think anything would have changed...


#10. WBP1113.BA0000 'Solargraph' Solar Powered Quartz

The newest watch on Charlie's list is this 2023 blue dial Solargraph. I know Charlie was debating which Solargraph to include, but it's perhaps no surprise to those of us who know him that he eventually plumped for this blue dial version. This pick is unique in that it is the only watch on Charlie's list that doesn't feature a Calibre 5 movement. 



#9. WAY211B.FC6363 Calibre 5 Automatic

Yes, this is an Aquaracer. It is 41mm in diameter and houses a Calibre 5 movement. I don't really know what else to say about it to be honest. There's nothing intrinsically 'wrong' with it, it's just... kinda 'regular', if you know what I mean. If I'm not mistaken this is the oldest watch on the list... but it's not that old. 2015 maybe... if I cared I'd look it up.

Okay, I looked it up - it was 2016. So as Ken Bruce might say 'One Year Out!'. 🤣



#8. WAY2015.BA0927 Calibre 5 Automatic

Ah yes, this is much more like it. The original green dial Aquaracer was one I lusted after for many a month. Impossible to find in the UK at the time and now every dodgy eBay seller has at least one for sale;  but nothing to see there, all above board and totally legit I'm sure! Oddly enough, when these do land on respectable selling platforms they are priced very high, whereas on eBay of course they are priced to fall under the 'Authenticity Check' threshold. Hmmm... I wonder why that is?



#7. WAY218A.FC6362 Calibre 5 Automatic

This is more like it. I've tried this on so many times... and every time it looks too small on me. Such a shame because it's a damned nice looking watch, but would definitely be perfect for Charlie's slender wrists. I'm pretty sure these can still be had at Bicester Village if you visit on the right day, in fact let me check the list...

Yep, they have this for £1800 and the Calibre 16 version for £2450. Give em a call on 01869 249008 and tell them Rob sent you. 



#6. WAY208B.FC6382 Calibre 5 Automatic

Now this I have to say was unexpected; indeed Charlie is something of a paradox wrapped in an enigma sauteed in a conundrum when it comes to predicting which watches he will like. Even taking into account his somewhat perplexing penchant for the current green 'Gucci' Formula 1 quartz chrono on the green rubber strap, this is an oddball. 

Released as a 'novelty' in 2016 alongside the black/red WAY208A and the unspeakably cool and sexy WAY208C (a watch that many right-thinking people have included in their top tens already) this one was the most readily available of the three, at least here in the UK - I've seen these about, but still never the WAY208A and the only WAY208C I've ever seen is my own. I like it, but I prefer the other two... and it does not look terribly legible. Not that that's necessarily a dealbreaker. 



#5. WBD2115.BA0927 Calibre 5 Automatic

Clearly I am biased, but this is thoroughly deserving of its place on any list of spectacular Aquaracers. Yes the polished centre links and clasp are bloody stupid, but you can't be mad at it when you look at that glorious face. Not only is the regal green slatted dial absolutely magnificent (no silly waves here my friends), but the polished and multi-lumed hands and indexes bring this one to life. Just go and try it on and leave without buying it, I dare you!



#4. WBD218C.FC6447 'Carbon Collection' Calibre 5 Automatic

Another Charlie-shaped curveball here with the 'Is It Actually Carbon Though' Aquaracer... a watch so spectacularly badly explained at release that no one actually seemed to know. Yes the bezel was clearly forged carbon, but the dial appeared to be a faux carbon print. In the end TAG Heuer cleared the matter up and we learned that the dial was actually fibres of carbon injected into a resin base - which sounded kind of like, well it's carbon, but not really. 

When I first saw these I thought I had found my dream watch, however seeing them in person I left underwhelmed. I'm gonna stick my neck out and bet that no one else will include any of this range of Aquaracers in their lists*. But kudos to Charlie for originality! 

* Gah, turns out BP Smith already did in the first list back in January!



#3. WBP2150.FT6210 Calibre 5 Automatic

The current two tone Aquaracer is a full on stunner and so it's nice to see it included here and indeed so high up on the list. I'd love one of these and I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't take advantage of a mega promotion a little while back from one of the major UK jewellers who were selling these for well under £3000. This is another range that needs to be seen in person as the renders do them no favours whatsoever. 



#2. WBD2120.BB0930 Calibre 5 Automatic

While Charlie's inclusion of the WBP2150 was a little bit of a surprise, even more surprising is his number two pick since I never dreamed he would like a watch as splendidly douchebaggy as this one! Regular readers will know well that our Swedish friend Jim 'Douchebag' Dollares recently added a WBD2120 to his ever growing 'three-piece collection' and if you didn't already know about that then you can read about it here...




#1. WBP2111.BA0627 Calibre 5 Automatic

And so we come to the final entry on Charlie's list, a somewhat sober selection after the last seven, but one which I am sure was chosen with care to be a watch for every occasion. Indeed, if you want just one watch then you could do a lot worse than a WBP2111 with its subtle blue dial, crowd pleasing 40mm case size and all round good looks. Might I suggest you buy it now before TAG Heuer start getting ideas about changing the dial for something that looks like melted chocolate though... because despite being something of an iconic feature of the Aquaracer I get the feeling these slatted dials aren't going to be around forever.


Well there we go, thanks as always go to Charlie for his selections, and of course to me for providing a soupçon of entertainment. 

Also don't forget to check out the other Top 10 Aquaracer posts by clicking on the banner below.



No comments:

Post a Comment