Monday 15 July 2024

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Porsche 963'

CBU2010.FT6267

By my reckoning this is the eighth 'Porsche' branded watch to emerge from the partnership between TAG Heuer and the German automotive manufacturer... and with the 'Orange Lava Racing' Carrera being my watch of the year for 2023 this one has a little bit of an uphill battle to fight if it wants to win me over. But first impressions are good. At £8050 this one is rather expensive, but it looks it - though I still don't like all that empty space at the 12 position; to my eyes the TAG Heuer shield looks a little lost, even with the 'steering wheel' framework behind it. 

But I do like the carbon bezel, the 'Porsche' engraving in the side of the case and the 'integrated' looking strap is interesting; albeit it turns out that the integration is something of an illusion, since what looks like the middle 'titanium' section (where it says '963') is actually part of the strap. But maybe that's a good thing since it allows you to use regular alternative straps and also allows you to remove the '963' if that's not to your taste.


While the new 'tubular chassis' inspired skeleton dial is new and specific to this model, it does give an indication of how the new skeleton Carreras will look... and that's about all I can say about that right now, but while we're on the topic of the 'tubular chassis' inspired skeleton dial (which was featured in TAG Heuer's marketing for the watch) it appears there has been something of a faux pas here, since I am reliably informed that the Porsche 963 for which this watch is named doesn't actually have one. 

However, reading 'Watch Time's' article about this it seems that the 'tubular chassis' inspired skeleton dial is rather inspired by 'Porsche Racing Cars' in general and not specifically the current '963'. Watch Time also goes on to say that the shape of the rubber strap is 'inspired by the NACA-style low-drag air intakes often found on Porsche racing cars dating back to the record-breaking Porsche 917, another subtle nod to the shared heritage of endurance racing'. Hmm... that's the first I've heard of that, but okay.


And then we come to the 'dashboard' inspired subdials, which feature lume designed to resemble Porsche headlights. Well, yes they kinda do... but strangely not the ones on the Porsche 963 (do you get the feeling this is becoming something of a theme here). Which, while I'm sure 99% of people won't notice is still a little weird. I mean, why name the watch after a 'specific' car if you are going to take inspiration from here there and everywhere?

I guess ultimately it doesn't matter so much, what's really important is how the watch looks, and this is a smart looking watch. Not so much from the renders of course, which look typically flat and uninteresting, but from the photos I've seen this one is pretty eye-catching. Indeed I was very much hoping to see one at the Sheffield boutique a few weeks ago, but unfortunately it left the store a couple of days before I managed to get there. A bit of a shame that, especially as there are only (you guessed it) 963 pieces available.


So ultimately I feel the watch is a success, but I do think that naming it after a specific car (which isn't the sole inspiration) is a bit of a mistake. But okay, I've said enough, let's turn it over to the Council of Considered Opinion for their take - it will be interesting to see how they reconcile their love of Porsche with what is a rather modern and (at 44mm) rather large, skeletonized Carrera.





9/10: "This is a fantastic update to the skeleton Carreras, bringing in a new design language to the skeleton range and moving it forwards. I’m not sure I see the 963 link, but as a watch I think it’s great."

6/10: "It's not bad watch per se but I really don't like the way the strap is structured. Unless the "963" is removeable."

6/10: "Oddly goes against a lot I usually like. But it works."

6/10: "I like the case design but not the size. Carbon bezel is nice as well. The dial does nothing for me and looks cheap."

9/10: "I love it, and properly numbered! It’s not just a modified version/edition of a previously existing model but a very different and new watch, strap, case, dial… It’s a 9/10 for me, and WOTY candidate."

3/10: "Absolutely not for me. I feel like I say this a lot, but I appreciate the attention to detail on these pieces, but they are extremely unattractive to my eye."

5.5/10: "As a standalone skeleton design, I give it a solid C+ grade, maybe even a B-. Which is quite positive coming from me, as I normally don't like skeletons at all. However, as a Porsche 963 watch, it rates a D for disappointment. It's also quite large and pricey. But at least it's not as pricey as the Skeleton Monaco. If I hadn't seen the new Skeleton Carrera in person, my score certainly would've been lower."

3/10: "Not my style, never a fan of skeletons."

5.5/10: "There are some rather nice elements of design here but I just can't get passed how much real estate the bezel and chapter ring take up. These 44mm Carreras have failed on the design of the dial perimeter and no amount of other cool elements can bring them close to the old 43mm models such as McLaren 1974 Edition or even the MP4-12C, to compare with another semi-skeletonised model. This just scrapes a 5.5/10."

9/10: "Just cool. A lot of new design elements but it keeps the Carrera essentials. This is a very nice development of the skeleton Carrera in the direction of the classic style. Much better than those Tourbillon Skeletons of lately. I guess TH should use this design without the Porsche Brand, too."

7.5/10: "I have a hard time making up my mind w/o seeing it IRL… But I feel that quite some thought has gone into designing this one - just not sure I actually LIKE the end result… so, a rather “play it safe” 7.5 / 10 from me."

7/10: "Wears too big. In a 42mm case and 47mm lug to lug it's way better."

8/10: "I like new design. Looks premium. Expecting mine to arrive tomorrow."

6/10: "When I first saw this, I immediately remembered the first generation skeleton Carreras. Doesn't seem to be too special enough to be a Limited Edition. Not really a fan of skeletons in the Carreras in general since it is too contradicting to what it was meant and created to be. The Skeleton Monacos I think would be better."

8/10: "This one gets an 8 from me, the matte elements dramatically improve readability and the materials/finishes are cool."

5/10: "Well, I don't hate it, but I don't really care for it, either. That's okay, I'm not the target audience anyway. It does have some cool touches, and it is certainly a unique piece, so I'll bump up my score a bit to 5/10."

2/10: "Not my cup of tea. Not clean enough and dislike the area where the strap meets the lugs. Plus it looks similar in colour and style to the Biver skeleton Carreras."

5/10: "I think the end links are an interesting thing. Not that I like it, but we may see more variants of this in the future? In this case it could have been a bit more 'elegant'. I don't care about the rest of the watch. Not my thing."

7/10: "Whilst the skeleton dial is busy and could be better, there are other elements that I really like. Carbon bezel for sure. Clean lume and use on date and Porsche on the bezel. 963 on the strap and actually properly numbered on the back, rather than the BS “One of…” cop out. Then there’s that case design, which is proper industrial looking, which is probably where they’ve gone with dial I guess. No good for anyone not owning a Porsche, just in my opinion, but then with only 963 they are destined for those lucky Porsche people. I am torn a bit, so giving this a a reasonable score based on actually being bold and industrial for a change vs the softly approach of the Glassboxes of late.... I forgot to add that the hands are nicely done, being based on those of the clocks from the cars it’s emulating."

8/10: "A strong 8 for this one. I don't like Porsche and I don't like the price. I don't like the movement. I don't like that it ain't even made from grade 5 titanium. I don't like the end links. But it looks great."

6.5/10: "The strap looks very cool."

7.5/10: "Love this! The sub dials really remind me of car dash dials and the Porsche name on the side of the case is a nice touch. Only possible negative for me is the strap which appears to be integrated. Overall a perfect TAG x Porsche watch."


FURTHER READING:

No comments:

Post a Comment