Tuesday 30 July 2024

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre Heuer 02T 'Shanghai' Limited Edition Chronograph

CAR5A8AC.FT6231

Tourbillons seem to be ten-a-penny in TAG Heuer world these days, maybe one day I should do a post about all the tourbillons that have come out since JCB introduced them about seven years ago? At first glance this one doesn't look particularly different or even particularly exciting, but here there's more than first meets the eye, and I'm not just talking about the pink and blue highlights on the hands and tourbillon.


Made exclusively for the TAG Heuer boutique in Shanghai, this one not only features the skyline of the city on the display back (much like the Dubai Skyline tourbillon did) but also features a generous helping of two colour lume applied to the skeleton dial of the watch.  


POW: Look at that dial! So damned cool, although you can't help feeling that they forget one crucial piece of the puzzle. I mean why highlight everything except the one thing you'd think they'd want to highlight? Makes no sense at all. But still... I like it.


The watch also comes in this rather cool watchwinder box and is limited to just 8 pieces. Eight! Now that's a properly limited edition. I don't have the official price for this one, the price I could find was 174,600 Yen, but this is about £900 so I'm pretty sure that ain't right! I would guess around the £20,000 mark would be more like it. 

Well (coincidentally) I'm giving it an eight, but you know what the Council of Considered Opinion is like, so expect mostly low scores and snide remarks...





7/10: "Huge but still a tourbie with interesting colour variation."

7/10: "Zzzzzz, another dull tourbillon… OMG that lume! I’ll want one. Still don’t understand why these are a faux skeleton not a real skeleton. Surely they are ripe for an update?"

5/10: "Cool lume but a dated watch."

8/10: "Appropriate for Shanghai."

6/10: "These are all starting to morph into one."

4/10: "I don’t know - Looks like a prize at a fairground shooting gallery to me… I suppose they use these LEs to get rid of the leftover 45mm (?) cases? 4/10 (since it’s technically still rather impressive)."

?/10: "Not scorable since I don't understand the significance of any of the design cues. Nor do I have the desire to educate myself on them."

4/10: "No, this does nothing for me. I also thought about possible aspects that might be relevant for residents of Shanghai... Who knows... I'd rather wear one of the first Heuer 01 skeletons, which I still like very much, than one of these...."

2/10: "Not a fan of this one."

8/10: "Coolest use of lume on a TAG Heuer, ever. Strong 8/10 from me!"

4/10: "Whilst there’s some cool colours going on with the lume, it just looks like an angry sex doll in the dark. Redeemed a little by its use of carbon and cool caseback/packaging."

2/10: "Not for me this one I'm afraid."

3/10: "Silly watch.."

8.5/10: "I love these Tourbillons in the classic modular case, and this one more than the Australian LE (8/10), so it’s a 8.5/10 for me."

3/10: "Never cared for any of these Carrera Tourbillon Skeletons. While some see "faces" on other watches, I always see the face of the Creature from the Black Lagoon on these. The teal and hot pink colour scheme makes it even more of a hot mess."

2/10: "Honestly these look like they were thrown together from a parts bin raid, not for me at even 10% of the asking price, so, 2/10."

3/10: "I love the 1990s colours, but I can’t stand these models. Huge and ugly! “Just like my damn wife!”

8/10: "I love it. Ok, I'm a sucker for lume but that is gorgeous if not really required. Even without the lume it looks amazing and just pops in the right way with the choice of colours used. Slightly hard to read the time but still. Watch winder box is a bonus too."

7/10: " I love the colour accents on the dial and the lume is amazing!"

5/10: "I think the challenge of colour is interesting, but why didn't TAG apply fluorescent paint to the carriage as well?"

No comments:

Post a Comment