Tuesday, 11 August 2026

COMMENT: New 42mm Carrera Sports Coming Soon... Or Already Here?


I'm writing this post on the 7th of August having just received this email from TAG Heuer. Now whether you are excited by the prospect of a new 'smaller' Carrera Sports or not (and I know some of you are), the most notable thing about this email is that these watches are already on the TAG Heuer website and have been for several days. So far from being a chance to 'witness the unveiling', unfortunately there's actually very little left to 'unveil'.

I really don't understand why it's so difficult to co-ordinate a release, surely everyone puts a date on their calendar and that's it. Isn't it? But now we have the bizarre situation where people are being asked to remove 'leaked' images from their social media despite the fact that you can already visit the website and buy the watches. Well, I don't know for sure that you can, but you can certainly put them in the basket and they aren't listed as 'coming soon' or 'sign up to be notified'.


While bringing this up may seem a little petty on my part, there is a point to this beyond simply trying to embarrass TAG Heuer. Understandably TAG do not like it when people post 'leaked' images on the internet before they are officially released (indeed Heritage Director Nicholas Biebuyck has been fairly vocal about what he thinks of people who do) and as a rule, out of respect for the brand, I try not to leak images of unreleased watches (actually, these days I rarely get to see anything pre-release) but if I can't trust the website then how am I supposed to know what is and isn't under embargo? I'm not a mind reader after all. 

So I really don't know what's going on here, but it looks very unprofessional. As for the watches themselves, I imagine they will be quite popular, especially with contrasting subdials and a smaller 42mm case. But me, I'll stick with my 44mm Dato 160 Anniversary. 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment