Thursday 17 October 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer SLR Calibre S Lap Timer Chronograph

CAG7011.BA0254

TAG Heuer Outlet / Bicester Village, 19th September 2019

When I bought my Calibre S Aquaracer, I thought it was pretty complicated... but now that I've had it a while, I've got used to its 'unique' approach and I can actually set it now without using the manual (although I still need to refer to the 'instructions' on the back of the case). So I picked this up fully aware that it was more complex than my version, but confident I had a grasp of the basics. Except, it doesn't really work the same at all, and I was no better off than the last time I looked at a Calibre S Lap Timer!

The confusion starts because unlike the standard Calibre S this one doesn't count 'hours' using the hour hand, the hour hand is solely to indicate which lap you are timing / looking at. It's far too complicated to go into here and to be honest I still don't really understand it. Apparently it's not too bad until you want to completely reset it, and then you have to do something akin to one of those eight fingered death moves you used to pull playing Tekken on PS2!

Okay, so in very simple terms the CAG7011 has the ability to measure, remember and recall 20 separate lap times, which is pretty impressive I'm sure you'll agree (even if the ability to remember how to work the watch is even more impressive still...).


At 47mm, this is not for the feint-hearted or the skinny of wrist...I don't think it wears that big though. I expected this to be a 44mm, in fact I checked more than one site to make sure that the 47mm measurement was accurate. Because of the case design you are essentially including the chornograph pushers in that measurement which you usually wouldn't, so probably 44/45mm would be a more representative size.

The second crown (which allows you to move the chapter ring underneath the crystal) is my least favourite part about the watch, this one feels smoother than some others I've tried before (some were very sharp) but I can't help but think it would have been better to move it up to the 10 position (about where you'd see a Helium release valve on a Seamaster). It's not actually that bothersome, but it looks like it is... and I can imagine it might put some people off the watch.


The bracelet is nice and features the expected deployment clasp. I haven't taken a photo but from memory it was not dissimilar to the Grand Carrera clasp so I don't think there is any micro adjustment possible. The vertical fluting on the dial looks good, and lends the watch a 'classy' and expensive appearance.

The SLRs all have some good details, but I'm yet to truly bond with any of them. This is probably one of the better ones and you could also fit the FT6009 rubber strap which would make it even better (as it would create a bit of a contrast with the dial), although you would also need the deployment clasp to suit.

List price on this one is £3600, but this one is currently available (on a bracelet) at the Bicester store for £2345.

No comments:

Post a Comment