Wednesday 16 October 2019

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Four New Ladies Formula 1 Models


The new ladies range of Formula 1 watches was launched last year, the first ones to feature quick change straps that came in a variety of colours. To be honest I wasn't really that impressed, I much preferred the previous design and it seems the market shared my indifference as I understand they haven't sold particularly well. Undaunted, TAG Heuer have added some ceramic bracelet models to the range because, well, why not? 

After all, maybe it's just a case of people getting used to the new look, some truly iconic watches have started out being less than popular (the AP Royal Oak to name but one)... so here we are. All four pieces are 32mm diameter, with fixed polished ceramic bezels and quartz movements. As far as prices go, the 'diamond spot' models cost £1500, while the standard models are £1150. No word as to whether these feature quick release bracelets, so I'm guessing they don't.

WBJ141AB.BA0973

WBJ141AA.BA0973

WBJ141AC.BA0974

WBJ141AD.BA0974

As I'm obviously not the target market for these watches, I thought I'd get a second opinion from my wife. As it happens she owns the 'older' version of one of these watches, so I showed her the new version and her reaction was 'muted' to say the least. Admittedly she wasn't too impressed when she saw the new range in the Geneva boutique last year, so maybe she wasn't the best person to ask and besides, she's kinda fixated on that Bella Hadid Aquaracer and the new green Aquaracer right now. 

As for me, well I get that you have to update the range every so often or it gets really stale... but to be honest I'd rather they had kept the old design and given us some new variations of it instead. I don't know what it is about these new ladies F1s, but to me they just look a bit cheap and flimsy somehow, which is not something I would ever say about my wife's WAH1314. That is a beautiful watch that genuinely impresses me every time I take it out of the box to adjust the date for her.

Interestingly, I just showed a friend these watches without expressing an opinion alongside the WAH1314 and his reaction was also that the new ones looked 'cheap'. Oh dear...

No comments:

Post a Comment