Tuesday 15 October 2019

INTERVIEW: Albert-AMG (Calibre 11 Forum Member)


One member of the Calibre 11 Forum has become synonymous with the TAG Heuer Connected, and has fully embraced the idea of the 'modular' watch, amassing an impressive collection of straps, lugs and modules in the process. But there's more to him than that, and as you will read here he's full of enthusiasm for TAG Heuer and pictures... nobody has ever sent me so many pictures!


Welcome Albert, I know it's been a long wait for you to see your interview in print (but it did mean it gave you plenty of time to send me more pictures, hahaha). So for the benefit of any readers who don't know you from the Calibre 11 forum, could you tell us a little about yourself?

My name is Albert de la Torre. I was born in Barcelona (Catalonia), September 1970, and my family was already involved in motor racing by then. I inherited their passion, so I have been motor and motorsport journalist/photographer and race organizer (Clerk of the Course, Technical Scrutineer, Steward...) since the beginning of the 90's. From 2013 to 2016 I was racing driver for the Mercedes Barcelona ECOteam (being, together with my co-driver, Spanish Champion for electric cars), and I'm now Mercedes-Benz & AMG Product Expert in the main Official Dealer of the brand in Barcelona.


A genuine racing driver...! How did you get into watches?

I got into "good watches" in 1988, because of Ayrton Senna. He was -and still is- my hero (and even more since I met him personally during the '93 Belgian GP) and his TAG Heuer S/el became very popular in the world of motorsport, so if you were wearing a S/el, it was almost like announcing "I'm a Senna supporter". I was 17 years old and had no budget to buy that watch, but I was wishing it since 1988 and it was the first time that I had so a big desire for a good watch... I was wearing a Casio G-Shock at that moment!



My first good watch was that desired TAG Heuer S/el Chronograph, but I had to wait until 1996 to buy it! Of course I wished that watch because it was linked to Ayrton, but also because I loved its design, and for this reason I chose my favourite combo, which was different from Ayrton's S/el: black dial and black leather strap (CG1110.BC0429)

As a fellow CG1110-0 owner I am totally with on the S/EL. Do you have a favourite piece in your current collection?

Yes! And it's also -even more- linked to Ayrton Senna: the 1994 TAG Heuer 6000 Senna WH1114 (#993 of 1000 pcs). This is the only one of the Senna watches created while he was alive and with his involvement in 1994. It was too expensive for me at that moment, and being a Limited Edition of just 1000 pieces it was quickly sold out... so it was like an impossible dream. Some months ago, 25 years later, I found a brand new (NOS) 6000 Senna, gents size (WH1114.FC6030) in Australia, and I went for it. It took time and money (mainly because of the customs) but it was worth it!



That is a gorgeous watch Albert, I bet you are the envy of your colleagues at AMG with that on your wrist! So we know already that you are 'quartz' friendly...

Yes, of course! My two favourite watches -also for sentimental reasons- of my very humble collection are quartz (the S/el Chronograph and the 6000 Senna). Nowadays it's not usual to find quartz watches within the top range of the brand, but in the 90's the 6000 was the top of the TAG Heuer range, and it was offered in quartz or mechanical movement... the quartz version was not cheap. And the S/el wasn't cheap either! Quartz is by far more reliable, accurate, resistant, easier and cheaper to service, and it has no problems with magnets, so it's by far more rational than a mechanical/automatic watch... but some decades after the introduction of quartz watches, it seems that only way for a brand to justify a high price for a watch, is having a mechanical movement inside. So now, for instance TAG Heuer, only offers quartz in their watches for ladies or in the entry level (Formula 1 and Aquaracer), but not in the top models as it was in the 90's. So if you want to buy a nice Autavia, Carrera, Monza, Monaco... it has to be automatic, there's no quartz version.

For us, the customers, it's also a passional purchase, we are not buying just a device to know what time it is, it's more like buying a jewel (if we talk about man's watches, it's probably the only piece of jewelry that many of us is wearing), so it also makes sense this irrational touch: knowing that we have a very sophisticated micro-mechanical-engine inside the watch, instead of quartz, even being quartz the most logical option... it must be a kind of masochism! :D

BTW, I also own two more quartz TAG Heuer: a Formula 1 Chronograph Senna Lted. Edition from 2016 (CAZ1015.BA0883), and a Micrograph Lted. Edition (CS111B.FT6003, 556 of 999 pcs)!



I know you are (rightly) very proud of your Connected collection, I'm really not that knowledgeable about the Connected, it's something that's really passed me by. I kinda like the modularity of it, and I like that you can get the automatic modules. As a complete luddite, what can you tell me about the Connected, can you sell me on it?

Yes, thanks! I'm very happy with my "Modular collection" and fully enjoying it! I prefer to call it "Modular" than "Connected" collection because -as Mr.Biver explained during the press presentation of the TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45- the most important feature of this watch is its modularity, because when you change the smartwatch module for one of the available automatic modules (Carrera Calibre 5, Calibre 16, or Heuer 02T), then it becomes a not connected Carrera... or it's then "Connected to Eternity" as you can read in the back case. The modularity is one of the main reasons I bought this watch: I love the way you can easily and quickly change lugs, straps, buckles, and modules, making possible to wear hundreds of different combinations, making it a different watch every day. If we consider that you can also wear hundreds of different watchfaces on the smartwatch module, then you can count the combinations by thousands!



I'm on iOS, but when I was thinking about buying an Apple Watch and I was comparing it with the TH CM 45, I decided to buy the TH because its design and quality, but mainly because it can be adjusted to have the screen "always on" and always showing a proper watchface (not a black screen like the Apple Watch), and because its modularity. I love the option to change the smartwatch module for a Carrera Calibre 5 or 16 when I want (the Heuer 02T was too expensive for me!). I started buying just the TH CM45 in my AD and three additional straps, some time later I ordered more straps and buckles, and later the mechanical module Calibre 16, and later... I realized this Modular system is very addictive! So it took me around one year to complete my current Modular collection with fifteen straps/bracelets with buckles, three pairs of lugs, two mechanical modules, two smartwatch modules... If next 2020 TH Connected generation is compatible with current TH Modular system (I hope so!), maybe my Modular collection will grow up! ;)

And I'm also very happy with the smartwatch module, specially since last Wear OS system updates: perfect and reliable bluetooth connection all day, enough battery life even with my high consumption settings, and as I just use the notifications from incoming calls, messages, and phone apps, it's smart enough for me!



I love your enthusiasm for it, but I know it's not for me. I have tried one on and it's better than I thought, but I can't deal with those odd black pieces at the top and bottom of the case.
Do you know what your next piece will be?

Not planned at this moment, because last purchase (6000 Senna) has emptied my piggy bank, so I would need some time to recover it. But if next generation of the TH Connected is compatible with the current Modular system, and TH offers the option to upgrade just the smartwatch module, I would seriously consider it


We've already spoken about money and getting the funds to buy the watches you desire, if money was no object is there something specific you would have in mind?

Yes! In that case I would like to include the mechanical module Carrera Calibre Heuer O2 Tourbillon in my Modular collection



Of course. Hahaha. Totally should have seen that coming! So, while we're on the subject of money... how does your partner/wife feel about your collection?

I'm single at this moment, so there's no problem at all! ;)


Okay, so no need to justify twenty seven straps to anyone, love it! Which leads rather nicely onto my next question: how many watches is too many?

If you are enjoying them all, if you are wearing them all, and you can afford them all, it's not too many whatever the quantity is... but maybe just three watches could be too many for someone


When you weren't single perhaps, did you ever ‘sneak’ a watch into the house?

Not exactly "sneaked", but maybe not making a big publicity and fireworks when it arrived! :D



Hahaha, I get what you're saying.... have you ever bought or sold a watch and regretted it?

Yes. I bought a connected/hybrid watch (Alpina AlpinerX) some months before I took the decission to buy the TH CM45, and since I have the TH (May 2018), maybe I have worn the AlpinerX just two or three times... I like it, but when I want to wear a connected watch, the TH CM45 is much better!



Are you more excited by re-issues or new pieces?

In my wishlist from the current TAG Heuer range, there are some re-issues leading the standings. I love more the Autavia, Monaco, and Monza, than a skeleton Heuer 01... although I would also love to have a Calibre Heuer 02 Tourbillon Senna (CAR5A91.FT6162) at home!


So what about faux-aged lume: Ingenious or travesty?

If the lume colour fits the look of the watch and the strap... then it's OK for me. We could consider it's not "fake aged lume" but lume in a different colour. But if it's too exaggerated and looks too "fake", then I would prefer it more natural. I like the lume of all current TH watches from the Heritage range



That question seems to divide my interviewees right down the middle. I'm afraid on 90% watches I've seen it on I think it looks dreadful... but I will admit there are a (very) few where it works.

Next question, why do you think it is that TAG Heuer attracts more than its fair share of negativity from the wider watch community?

Being myself a F.C. Barcelona supporter... is it maybe because TAG Heuer was sponsoring Cristiano Ronaldo? :D

Just kidding. I don't really know if there's some special negativity against TH and why. I don't understand why it could be TH haters... if someone doesn’t like this or another brand, just don't buy a watch from that brand! Nobody forces you! Anyway this kind of behaviour is usually related to jealousy... or football!


What are your thoughts on the collaboration with Bamford?

From all Bamford versions I have seen up to now, I only like around 10% of them, and I wouldn't buy any of them instead of the original watch designed at the TH headquarters... even if they were at the same price! For the same reason I prefer a -designed at home- Mercedes-AMG instead of a Lorinser or Brabus version. So I don't particularly like this collaboration, but I can understand that there is a market for it. There could be some customers looking for something more exclusive, expensive, and personal than a standard TH watch from the normal range.



Are you swayed by ‘limited editions’ and associated packaging?

Yes, depending on which Limited Edition, because I would never buy a Cristiano Ronaldo Limited Edition watch! :D

In fact I own several of them (two TH Senna, one TH Kingsman, one Certina Pedro de la Rosa...). If I like the watch, and the limited edition is linked to someone or something I like, then it adds value to the watch for me... and it could be even the main reason to buy it. Of course the associated packaging is another added value: you can't wear it on the wrist, but it's nice to see it when you store your Limited Edition watch ;)




Is there a TAG Heuer / Heuer you really don’t like?

I would say that there are some TH that I wouldn't buy because I like them, but not enough to pay its price... but if someone gives me one of them, I will be very pleased! ;) If I had to choose the last TH that I would buy, this would be the Link Calibre 5 full of diamonds WBC2116.BA0660 (I don't like diamonds on the watch!)


Actually, I don't mind that... I mean it's a bit over the top, but I can think of watches I'd be less keen to wear! So aside from diamonds... is there something you’d like to see more of in watch design?

Yes: more strap options from factory, with a quick release system. I understand it's not possible to include the TH Modular system to all cases and watches, but having more official straps from factory, with a quick system to change them (as in the new Autavia Isograph) would be great for the customers and for the brand, which would be selling much more accessories.


Given that you don't like diamonds I suspect I might know the answer to my next question, but lets give it a go anyway. Two tone: yes or no?

I could like a full gold watch -small size- for a lady, but I don't like a full gold watch in gents size. I would not buy a watch with a two-tone (gold-silver) bracelet either. Made in gold I only wear the rose gold lugs from the TH CM45 Kingsman edition. They are not so easy to combine as the titanium or the black ceramic lugs, but with the proper combo they look nice, it's a subtle gold touch... but I would not like more gold everywhere.



Is there a watch you would like to see TAG Heuer re-issue?

This question was asked in one of the Calibre11 forum threads, and I wrote "the TAG Heuer 6000 Senna"... As I was lucky to find a NOS brand new 6000 Senna, I would say now a different model: the Carrera 300 SLR (CAR2112.FC6267), or the Autavia Heuer 02 "Orange Boy" that was produced for Hodinkee.


We've now seen four of the five limited edition Monacos (only three at the time of Albert's interview) and there's at least one more watch beyond that that we know about, but if you were in charge of TAG Heuer, how would you have chosen to mark the 50th anniversary of the Monaco?

There are still two Monaco50 Limited Editions to be launched, so I don't know what is TH preparing for #4 and #5... but I'm missing something more linked to Formula 1. I think the British F1 GP in Silverstone was a perfect place to present #3, even more when its dial looks like a 'Silver Stone'... and with blue colour like in the RBR F1 car.

A not so limited edition new Monaco model, with Isograph technology or something really innovative, would be interesting. I understand TH will not invest a lot in watches produced at only 169 pcs, but if you include a new Monaco in the normal range, produced at higher volume, then you can invest more in it.



Do you have a watch horror story? 

It was not so serious, but first day I was wearing at work my new TH CM45 (also first time wearing a titanium buckle), I was not very focused in the buckle until some hours later I discovered it had many scratches... I realized than titanium is softer than steel! Thankfully I found by ebay a fiberglass tool/pencil to remove this kind of scratches, and that buckle looks like new again, and I'm taking more care of it... but at that moment was painful


Ouch, having just bought a titanium Carrera myself this is making me very nervous!

I know you have already mentioned some other brands (Certina / Casio), so which other brands do you appreciate or own?

My best watches are TAG Heuer because it has been my favourite brand since I was 17 years old... so I own just some other less expensive watches like the Certina DS Podium Pedro de la Rosa, a Torgoen T-18 Carbon Fiber, the connected/hybrid Alpina AlpinerX, a Mercedes-Benz Chronograph Classic Carré, a Junkers chronograph... and about other brands, my second favourite is IWC, but I could have also place at home for a Rolex Daytona (steel).


Do you see your collection growing much more...

If you mean my "Modular collection", then it depends on TAG Heuer. I don't like the other available straps (rubber: yellow, green, electric blue), so I'm only missing the mechanical module Heuer 02T (too expensive for me), and the straps -not sold separately- from the CM45 RBR Limited Edition (blue leather with red stitching). If I could find these RBR straps I would buy them...*
But if next Connected generation (planned for 2020) is compatible with the current Modular system, maybe there will be new straps, new mechanical modules, and -of course- a new smartwatch module... so this would be a new way to grow!

*Since this interview Albert has managed to get hold of the RBR strap. :)



How do you feel about the Hodinkee limited edition phenomenon, and leading off of that, would you like to see TAG instigate some sort of ‘VIP’ club for people who buy regularly with special editions offered first/or possibly exclusively to members?

If you mean the Autavia Calibre Heuer 02 for Hodinkee... I think it's a shame that such a beautiful watch was produced in a limited edition. It should be in the current TH range! People who were lucky to get one, have the added value of exclusivity... but it should be available to everybody! :)

About the VIP club... Mercedes-AMG has a Private Lounge just for AMG owners, where you need to register the VIN of your car to be approved and have online access, also to an exclusive forum. You have then exclusive offers, benefits, and information... maybe TAG Heuer could do something similar, with special editions offered first, and even exclusive offers (including visits to the factory, museum, etc).

TH has already "My TAG Heuer" online, where you can register your watches and subscribe to the newsletter, but I think it needs to go one or two steps further to become a proper VIP Club. I think that would be good to reward the loyalty of its customers



Who (if anybody) do you think should be TAG Heuer’s next brand ambassador?

For me the best brand ambassador was Ayrton Senna, with whom the motto "Don't Crack Under Pressure" was born ... Lewis Hamilton, who has always declared his admiration for Senna, and is the active F1 driver with more Titles, Poles and victories, would now be my favorite TAG Heuer ambassador. Lewis was already linked to TH during his time at McLaren-Mercedes, but unfortunately TH did not have the same good intuition as Lewis when he left McLaren, as TH should have chosen Mercedes too! ;)


If I gave you a £10,000 watch voucher right now, what would you buy?

Thanks! I will negociate with my AD to get a Monaco Calibre 11 Gulf (CAW211R.FC6401), an Autavia Calibre Heuer 02 (CBE2110.FC8226), and a Calibre 17 Monza (CR2080.FC6375)! ;)


And finally, a question that always causes arguments on the Calibre 11 fourm: Monaco - round pushers or square pushers, what' it gonna be?

I love both: round pushers for the vintage Monaco, and square pushers for the re-edition


Well, that's another interview done and dusted. My thanks to Albert for taking the time to do this one and hopefully we can make time for a more in depth interview about your 6000 Series in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment