Sunday 13 October 2019

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Watch

WAH1010.BT0717

Well this didn't turn out as expected, I just walked into town to see if one of the two TAG Heuer ADs in the town had the new green Aquaracer yet... the answer was no, but on the way I spotted a WAH1010.BT0717 in the window of A&T Pawn Brokers and noticed that it was on offer for just £381. Now, don't get me wrong, I was absolutely not going to buy it, the last thing I need is another 'bargain' quartz piece draining my TAG fund before it's even got going, but... you know, I need to create content for this blog so this is what I have to do.

So I went in, and asked to have a look. Yes sir, of course sir, no problem sir... can you point it out in the window - sure, no problem, there it is, that one, no not that weird looking Omega the TAG, yes that one. Excellent. So the sales assistant comes back into the shop and immediately hides it under the counter. 

"Have you got any ID? I can't show it you without ID."

Hmm, no... as a matter of fact I haven't. I didn't exactly look scrotey, I'm a 49 year old guy with greying hair, I was wearing a pair of £160 Oakley shades, a two tone TAG Heuer 3000 and a polo shirt with my company's name on... but clearly I was not to be trusted. I mean, I get it, she's only doing what she's told, and probably a lot of their customers are a bit dodgy... but it did make me laugh when I think how I was treated in the Roger Dubuis boutique in London even though they must have known I couldn't afford that £137,000 Excalibre Spider Tourbillon Valant!


So in the circumstances I did the only thing I could, I slammed my fist on the counter and shouted 'Don't you know I am!' at her....!!!

No, I didn't. Actually I just shrugged and said 'Okay, no worries' and walked out... and so this post isn't an 'On the Wrist' post because, well either they've changed their policy since I last went in there (and bought a watch, incidentally) or possibly because I look extremely dodgy and not to be trusted.

It's a pity though... because it's a pretty cool watch and for £381 it really is a bit of a bargain (by way of comparison Watchfinder have the same watch in stock for £825 right now, albeit on a bracelet) and I was intrigued to try it on because it looks massive in the window. Having looked it up it's 44mm, which is 4mm larger than my old WAH1110 Formula 1 and only 1mm smaller than my Carrera Heuer 01. But I'm pretty sure that's the same size as the Calibre S I tried on in Bicester earlier this year and that felt okay, admittedly it's a good bit thinner than the Carrera which helps, but it still has a lot of wrist presence (I imagine).


This watch wears the BT0717 rubber strap that I bought to replace the one on my (not missed at all) CAU2012 Calibre 16 Formula 1, I always found that strap to be very comfortable and having a pin and buckle instead of a deployment clasp meant that I had zero issues with it. I really like the skeletonised hands and the high contrast white makes them massively legible against the black dial. Actually the black and white colour scheme works great, and in a way I'm glad they resisted the temptation to paint the small seconds hand red.

I bet the lume on this is great as well, as it looks similar to my WAH1110 and the lume on that was fantastic. Those big Arabic numbers give plenty of room for lume to be painted, but if this isn't enough for you there is a reverse variant available which has a full lume dial


In general I'm not a massive fan of small seconds watches, but this one is actually quite cool and I do like the way they've hidden the date in the small seconds dial. Aargh, I can feel myself talking myself into going back... because I do sometimes miss my old WAH1110 just a little tiny bit and this would make a great replacement. But no, I need to save for that green Aquaracer so I'll have to pass this one up, even if it is a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment