Saturday 9 June 2018

NOT BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Display Tray / Alter Ego Watch


As if to prove I am a mug for anything with a TAG Heuer logo on it (as if we didn't know that already), yesterday I bid on this display tray on eBay. I have no idea what I would have done with it if I'd won it, I'm pretty sure it would have ended up in my 'TAG cupboard' next to my watch stands and my 100% unofficial 'woodblock' (no really) and with that in mind I wasn't really prepared to bid too much (even though part of me wanted to).

I think I put a bid in of about £28 or something, and it eventually sold for £39... which makes me think - I could have had that for £40! But of course, eBay doesn't work like that and there's no way of knowing exactly how much the winning bidder bid. Also, the picture above isn't the actual tray I was bidding on because it seems that eBay is no longer allowing you to look at the pages of finished auctions - every time I try it 'suggests' a similar item (which in this case is a TAG Connected watch - makes zero sense to me). I think the tray I was bidding on was in better condition to be honest...

Anyway, judging by other finished items, £39 looks an absolute steal! Which means there must be lots of other idiots out there like me who are obsessed with anything TAG Heuer... I'd just love to know what they actually use them for. I mean, it is an item with a specific purpose I guess, but at home how often would you need to use it for that specific purpose? Maybe these people also have a 'TAG cupboard', filled with junk they also had to have but now wonder what to do with.


I've always really liked the futuristic looking Alter Ego watch line, but sadly they never made a men's version. I found this one on eBay, seemingly in very good condition and selling for a ridiculously reasonable £275 (or even 'Make an Offer'). I kept showing it to my wife, but she procrastinated too long about whether she liked it 'enough' and the watch was sold.

I really think somebody got an absolute bargain there, the watch looked like it had it's complete bracelet and my wife's wrists are so small she could potentially have sold about six links and got half her money back - but there you are.

I think, if the dial had been one of those really nice metallic blue ones she would have been a lot more gung-ho, but I think that would have added to the price and to be honest you don't see many Alter Ego's in this kind of condition. Most are highly polished (there are some brushed versions, but they don't have the 'glamour' of the the reflective ones - I'm usually all for brushed but not on these) and many that you see on eBay look like they've been scraped along a pebble-dashed wall.

I recently saw an eBay listing which showed a lume-shot for one of these and it was the first time I really noticed the blocks around the edge of the dial (although they aren't present on every Alter Ego). Annoyingly I can't find that picture or any Alter Ego lume shot, but it looked really cool. Also the TAG Heuer logo was lumed as well, which I don't think I've seen before on a watch.


Inevitably, I kind of wish I had bought it just to have it, but that's rather ridiculous isn't it? My cupboard's got enough 'stuff' in it without starting to add women's watches to the pile!

No comments:

Post a Comment