Sunday 17 June 2018

FEATURE: Have I Swapped One Everyday Watch for Another?

WAH1110.FT6024

One of my prime motivations for selling my WAH1110 after eighteen months was that it had become (and was purchased to be, to be fair) my daily wearer. But things have changed... when I bought the F1 I didn't have nearly as many watches and it got to the point where I was adding watches to my collection, but they weren't really getting any time on the wrist. So my plan was to get rid of the F1 and free up space so that I could get some wrist-time for my other pieces. Not all my pieces mind, I'm never going to wear my Carrera Heuer01 to work, that's just not going to happen... but some of the others. And it has sort of worked, I've worn my three Aquaracers to work, my 6000 and even my Kirium once or twice, but recently I've noticed that recently every time I go to pick a watch in the morning, I keep picking my new 500M quartz Aquaracer.


Which isn't a 'massive' problem or anything, but it's a little bit annoying. I just really love this watch and yeah it is still in the honeymoon phase I guess, but even so... I didn't expect it to become quite as much of a wrist-blocker as it has.

But then the 6000 has it's own issues, it's only just big enough and I don't have any spare links, so if I'm feeling a bit porky (as I am at the moment) and the weather is warm (as it is at the moment) then it kinda gets overlooked. The yellow Calibre S still gets some days out, but I'm wondering if I actually preferred it on the bracelet now... or whether I just prefer wearing a bracelet perhaps?


The Chronotimer is an odd one, in some lights it looks fantastic, but in others it's actually quite hard to see the hands. I keep wondering if I should keep it or move it on, but then I look at a picture of it and think how cool it looks... I guess that's something that I've been through with other watches before, but not watches that I've only owned for a couple of months. Then again, when I do wear it I think how much I like it (as long as the lighting is right...) and while it does have the same movement as the F1 Kirium, I never use the digital display on that one so it is the only one that scratches that unique 'Breitling Aerospace' itch.

Maybe there's something to be said for buying one watch at a time and getting to really bond with it before the next one comes along, because I feel like maybe buying five watches this year hasn't been the best move... at least as far as solidifying my collection goes.


Not that I have real regrets, but in some ways I wish I had bought the pieces I've got over a slightly  longer period. I feel like maybe I've got sucked in to 'collecting' for the sake of 'collecting' a little bit. Even now I find myself watching things on eBay, I've bid on two watches in the last week, neither of which I really 'need' or I'm 100% sure I actually wanted.

Maybe it's time to batten down the bank account and concentrate on the pieces of got, and let the fund grow without being frittered on low value pieces? It could be a good idea to say that I won't buy anything else this year, but that's probably a foolish statement coming from someone who visits the outlets quite as often as I do... and who spends as much time on eBay as I do... and who writes about TAGs every single day!

4 comments:

  1. The first step is to admit you're addicted right �� I have never bought more than 1 watch during a year, it takes until honeymoon period is over before I get eager to buy something new (still looking at my Skyracer with love even though it is 7 months old now) but I can imagine that the more you buy the more you want to keep buying. //Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim
      I went from buying one watch in a few years to two in a year to four in a year to five in four months - crazy! But, still... I knew I'd go a little crazy when I finished paying my mortgage off!
      Rob

      Delete
  2. Who am i to judge when i have the same problem too !

    Should we have anonymous meeting ;)

    Cheers !

    ReplyDelete