Wednesday 5 December 2018

BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer 6000 Series Quartz Chronograph

CH1110.BA0675

Ever since I bought my blue dial three hand quartz 6000 series I've fallen in love with the design and wanted to get another, larger diameter piece in my collection. This CH1110 has been on eBay for quite a while and I've often looked at it longingly, but never quite committed to the outlay. When I first saw this one I think it was on for about £750, but having gone through a few cycles without finding a bidder the seller dropped the price to £695, which only made me want it more.

Again, the seller was inviting offers and after a little thought, I decided to make a bid of £575, assuming it would be rejected. It was rejected immediately, so fast in fact that it couldn't possibly have gone through and been reviewed, which told me that the seller had set up the listing to automatically reject bids under a certain figure. Human nature being what it is, I guessed that he'd probably put £600 as the cut-off and resubmitted an offer of £605.


This offer wasn't automatically rejected, and after a little while I got an email from eBay confirming my bid had been accepted. I was chuffed with that, £600 seems more than fair for a chrono 6000 in this condition, I have seen many 6000 chronos way in excess of £1000 (some automatics even up around the £2000 mark), given that most top-notch (less desirable, smaller cased) three handers are around the £500 mark, this was a seriously good deal to my mind.


When the watch arrived it was immediately obvious that it was slightly larger all round and definitely thicker than my blue dial 6000, and all the better for it. As with my Kirium chrono I made the mistake of thinking the battery had died in transit, before remembering that the large second hand is the chrono seconds! What a relief.... and then, oddly, I noticed that the chrono minute hand reset to the 4 position, just like my Kirium had. So then it was a case of getting the manual out and manually resetting the minute and hour hands (the hour had also shifted to the 2 position). It's strange that this watch did exactly the same as the Kirium did, I guess they have the same movement and must be particularly sensitive to shock - who knows what the Royal Mail have put it through on it's journey!


This watch is gorgeous and in incredible condition, I can already tell this is going to be be one of my absolute favourites and I'm so glad I bought it. I've long thought that I would like to get my hands on a 'few' 6000 series watches, and this is confirming that thought. I think maybe I'll look at one with a leather strap next time, just to make it really different... but given the amount I've spent on watches this week I think that will have to wait a little while now. I certainly don't think I've got the balls to take another watch home before Christmas! :)


The outer sleeve is a bit worn, but the box and barrel case are in excellent condition. The warranty card is missing from the booklet, but I have the manual (which is the really important bit for me), but I will contact the seller to make sure he doesn't have it lying around somewhere. When I received the watch I thought I might have a go at an unboxing video, my camera isn't really up to the job, but it was a bit of fun anyway.


I seem to be having a bit of trouble adjusting the clasp, I think maybe the spring bar has died. I also need a link taking out, so I shall take it to a jewellers tomorrow and get it sorted and then I'm sure it shall be getting plenty of wrist time, although with three new watches to wear...

- - - - - - - - - -

Having got the clasp sorted out, I've now returned the watch to the seller for repair. The bracelet has a couple of links which are not as they should be and the 1/10 subdial does not reset to 12 properly when it has been left for a few hours... hopefully this will all be rectified smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment