Monday 17 December 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: 6000 Series Two Tone Automatic (Green Dial)

WH5151-K1

I've always had something of a soft spot for the 6000 Series, and as one of the cheapest TAGs I own, my blue dial three hander has got to be one of the best value pieces in my collection. Recently I've added a second 6000, this time a silver dial chronograph, but I still want more... and the one that I keep going back to is the two-tone green dial variant pictured here.


This one is on eBay for the Princely sum of £900, to which my first reaction was 'how much?', but then I realised that unlike both of my 6000s, this one is a chronometer certified automatic. Add in the apparently immaculate condition and you can see why the seller is asking such a hefty sum. I'm not quite sure I would pay that much for it, indeed of late I'm getting very cynical about pricing - every time I think I've got a good deal another one pops up significantly cheaper, but it looks as if a better example would be difficult to find.


The seller claims the watch will fit a 7.1/4" wrist, which is also a problem, but judging by the number of links in the bracelet I reckon they've got that wrong anyway. I believe this has one more link than my watches and my wrist is 7.3/4", so either the links are smaller (unlikely) or they've measured it wrongly.


The lume still looks in good condition, though doubtless it's performance will be less than stellar which is to be expected with a watch of this age. One thing that really sets the 6000 series apart is the intricate bracelet design, it really makes the watch look a lot more expensive than it is, even more so on this model with the subtle, but well placed, gold elements.


Right now I can't really justify the purchase of yet another watch, but this one is definitely on my list for the future. I'd also be interested in one of the 6000s on a leather strap, but it would have to be one of those pleated-edge straps rather than the flat straps which look a little uninspired (and to be honest - aftermarket). I know TAG did sell some 6000s with a basic leather strap, but they just don't look right to me. The overall aesthetic is rather grand and fitting a plain strap just undermines the whole design... although to be fair, I could imagine some people preferring to tone the watch down a tad as 6000s could be perceived by some as a tad OTT. 

One final thing, as noted in the Fellows Auction the other day, it's quite possible to pick up a white dial quartz 6000 for less than £300, so while this particular model may be slightly prohibitive, 6000 ownership doesn't have to be expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment