Sunday 23 December 2018

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 Hong Kong Limited Edition

WV211Y.BA0787

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 13th December 2018

Limited to just 250 pieces, this TAG Heuer Carrera Hong Kong Limited Edition measures 40mm across the dial and features a Calibre 5 movement visible through a glass display back. Clearly I am not the target market for the watch since the Hong Kong skyline means next to nothing to me, but while this style of watch isn't really my thing, I do quite like the idea of putting the skyline on the dial. Indeed, I could well imagine a Carrera with the London or New York skyline on the dial being a good seller, but this seems like a hard sell away from its original market.


It's a shame really because it's been quite well executed, but clearly the Hong Kongese aren't biting on this one - otherwise it wouldn't be languishing in the outlets. Definitely not my favourite Carrera that I've tried on, but by no means awful, it's comfortable on the wrist and could easily be worn daily with a suit, shirt or even a T-Shirt. It's just a little too niche perhaps, but then maybe for the collector who likes something different and something made in very limited numbers, this could possibly strike a chord?

Personally I think if I was looking for a 'destination' specific TAG Heuer I'd rather take the Hawaii Edition Aquaracer (also available in Bicester Village), it's just that bit more exciting to look at. Still, at outlet discounts this is a good price for an limited edition automatic Carrera.

PRICE:

This Carrera Calibre 5 is currently available in the TAG Heuer outlet at Bicester Village at the following discounted price...

WV211Y Hong Kong Limited Edition Carrera - £1645 (RRP: £2350)

No comments:

Post a Comment