Wednesday 22 May 2019

OWNED: TAG Heuer Classic Formula 1 Quartz Watch

 383.513/1

I'm not really one for 'collecting' watches for the sake of it, if you know what I mean. I don't think I'd ever buy a watch with the knowledge that I would never wear it, just to have it and keep it in the box to look at occasionally... but in the case of this classic Formula 1 I did make a bit of an exception, even though as it turned out I've already worn it more than I thought I would.

I've wanted a proper original Formula 1 for a long time now, and I specifically wanted one with a resin case and strap, because, without getting too picky about the exact model, I wanted something representative of the 'first' TAG Heuer wristwatch. I'm sure you all know, but the Formula 1 was the first new watch that TAG Heuer launched under their own steam after taking over the Heuer Watch Co and essentially re-branding their existing product lines for a couple of years.


This decision probably laid the cornerstone of many years of negative comments to come from watch snobs, but you have to remember that at the time the watch industry was not in good shape (and Heuer certainly wasn't). Quartz was the new thing and watches were cheap and plentiful, Joe Public was not in the mood for buying complicated and expensive automatic timepieces; this was the age of Swatch and this was TAG Heuer's attempt to get onboard that particular gravy train.

For all that some thumb their noses at these watches, there's a lot of people out there who love them and there's a big market for pre-owned ones to this day. I found mine on eBay for £200 with a new battery, replacement bezel, new strap, new glass... pretty much everything really, and while I really would have liked a red one, they seem to command something of a premium and since this was more of a collectible than a watch I really intended to wear, I decided not to pay that premium.


The reason I didn't think I'd ever wear it was the size. At 35mm it is pretty small and having previously owned a 35mm 2000 series I figured it would never take up any wrist time at all, but I still wanted one all the same. In truth, it wears a little bigger than that suggests and while it still looks pretty small on my 7.3/4" wrist, it doesn't look completely stupid. Let's say I don't mind wearing it now and again.

The strap is very comfortable actually, although mine seems to have been put on the wrong way around. I keep meaning to sort that, but I'm not sure if it isn't better this way as the strap retainer seems in a better place as it is, which is slightly odd, but there you are.

I think one of the reasons it wears a little bigger is those 'TAG Heuer' shields on the rubber strap, I bet if you put this on a standard F1 bracelet it would look a lot smaller. I know my F1 chrono looks small on me and that's 38mm, so I'm sure the black resin strap has a lot to do with it. It's kind of contradictory really as black usually makes watches wear smaller, not bigger.


The watch runs great and the lume is surprisingly strong for such an old watch, there is one issue though. It appears the back side of the glass wasn't cleaned properly before re-assembly and as such there's a smear around the edges which you can't see generally, but becomes startling obvious if you look at it through polarised sunglasses or if you take a photograph of it. Of course, once seen it can't be unseen, so when it eventually needs a new battery I might talk nicely to my battery man and see if he can't give it a wipe for me.

Overall, I can't really fault this watch, especially for £200. Ebay prices are all over the shop, one week you might pick up one of these for £100, another you might have to pay £300, so if you are interested I'd recommend playing a waiting game and striking when the time is right. Also, if you want one of the more colourful models, you might consider buying from Japan as there seems a lot more choice from that region and the prices are surprisingly competitive - just watch out for import duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment