Friday 24 May 2019

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer 2000 Exclusive Quartz Watch

WN1112

What a beauty, eh? Right up until I bought my new Aquaracer/Searacer last week (or was it two weeks ago?) I was all primed and ready to add another 2000 Exclusive to my collection. I already have a black dial chrono in mint condition that I got in January from Watchfinder and a two tone three hander that I picked up last year, and I really do enjoy wearing both of them. As a matter of fact I've been wearing the black dial chrono for the last few days and I'm wearing it right now, it really is a lovely watch, although as it's like a little Aquagraph it's maybe undermined that piece just a little bit. So much less hassle being quartz, and it's smaller and easier to wear too... not as cool though, granted. But still a very nice watch in its own right.


These pictures came from an eBay listing and they've been kicking around in a folder on my desktop for a while so I'm not sure if this watch is still available. I don't even want to look right now, I think if I brought another watch home anytime soon my wife would have a fit, so... best not even go looking!

These watches are 38mm in diameter and very wearable, but they have a lot of wrist presence, much more so than the slightly smaller 2000 Series. I think it's the bezel that does it, they are quite chunky and the raised centre section on the bezel is polished which makes it look even more eye catching.


The only downside of that polished section is that inevitably when you see these on eBay, that part is more often than not a little worse for wear, and being right next to the glass, polishing it at home is a risky business! This one looks mint though and I assume it's been polished properly, either that or it's never been worn...

I'd dearly love another one of these and this blue dial would be a great choice. There are other options though, I have definitely seen a tapisserie dial version as well, although I think that might have been a silver dial (not so great) and there's also a rose gold bezel version with a black dial.


The best thing is these 2000 Exclusives can be had for reasonable money, my immaculate black dial Chrono from Watchfinder was only about £650 and my two tone I found in a sale for about £460 IIRC. Other three handers can be had on eBay from about £350, depending on condition. I can't recommend them highly enough, they have a fantastic chunky bracelet with a positive fold-over clasp and a superb mid link design which gives an eye catching glint from some very small polished links, leaving the rest of the bracelet in a very practical brushed finish.

Right, that's enough for today. We're all waiting for the first of the new Monaco 50th Anniversary pieces which will be unveiled tonight in Monaco. I've seen it already and I can't wait to write about that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment