Wednesday 11 March 2020

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Two-Tone Blue Dial Watch

 WBD2120.BB0930

I honestly never thought I would own a two-tone watch, until one day I rather unexpectedly found one in a pawn shop window... since then I've bought two more and now I have an S/EL, a 3000 Series and of course that original 2000 Exclusive, all of which I wear regularly. So I was intrigued to see this new two tone Aquaracer as I've been quite impressed with some of the bi-colour Aquaracers I've seen in the Bicester Village outlet, but underwhelmed by the conservative dial colours they tend to have (largely silver/champagne). Also this one rather reminds me of a gorgeous 1500 Series that I've seen on eBay time and time again (one which is definitely overpriced, but damn did they do an amazing job of photographing that thing). I would add a link here to that watch, but of course I can't find it - maybe somebody finally caved and bought it... I wanted to, but I just knew it couldn't look as good as the photographs...

You would be forgiven for thinking blue dial two tone Aquaracers were a common item, after all blue and gold go together so well... but while there have been some, they aren't as common as you might think. Sure there's the WAB1120 and the WAK1120, but these are older style Aquaracers, if you want one of the more up to date AR's with the angular bezel there's really only the WAY1122 or the WAP1121, both of which are limited editions.

So I for one am very pleased to see this one added to the range, I reckon that colour combination is going to like dynamite on the wrist and maybe something to add to my list of 'future possibilities'! I will have to reserve judgement though because an awful lot will depend on the exact tone of the gold they've chosen, it could look incredible or it could ruin it completely - we'll have to wait and see.

Pricing is hard to determine as it's not yet on the new TAG Heuer website - I have found it on American websites where it is being sold at $3000 and also at $2810, the second one is quoting the list price as $3750 which equates to about £2900 over here in the UK. I have a feeling it might be a little more than that somehow, as that seems a little low to me.

WBD1325.BB0320

Not to be out done, there's also a smaller 'ladies' model which is quartz powered rather than the Calibre 5 automatic of the gents version. This one is 32mm versus the larger 41mm for the WBD2120 and features the very attractive wavy blue dial as seen on the recently released WBD131D. Personally I'd quite like to have seen the wavy dial on the men's version too, but I guess it might have looked a bit too 'Omega' for comfort...

Again pricing is hard to pin down; I can only find this on one US website which gives a price of $2300 (£1784) but again that looks optimistic to me and I suspect it will be over £2000 in reality. Looks absolutely fantastic in this picture though...

No comments:

Post a Comment