Monday 9 March 2020

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Quartz Watch

WAY101L.FC8222

The thing I'll probably miss the most about Baselworld 2020, is those naughty media people who just can't help themselves when they've got a photo of a watch that's under embargo for months to come... maybe it's accidental, or maybe it's deliberate (maybe it's even collusion?) but those pictures always seem to come out somewhere, and so it was with this WAY101L Aquaracer.

This one has only recently arrived in the stores but I've had a photo of this watch since last May I think, and what's made it all the stranger is that I've also known the part number for months, because this one has been offered for 'sale' on some unscrupulous watch websites for quite some time now.

Some of you may be thinking that you've seen this one for sale locally a long time ago, but the chances are you're probably getting it mixed up with the WAY101E; that watch is largely the same only the colour scheme is reversed, indeed these watches share the same NATO strap. I actually find it quite hard to decide which of these two I prefer, on the one hand I do rather like the green bezel, but on the other I also like the green numerals on the grey bezel... I guess if funds enable you could get both and wear them on alternate weeks? :)


I like both of these watches then, but as ever, I do wish both were available on bracelets; it seems such an obvious alternative. I wonder if you could order it with a bracelet for a few hundred sheckles more? I'll try and find out... I really can't see why not, after all, last year AMJ Watches was offering the Aston Martin Formula 1 on a bracelet.

Ah, but every time I see this watch I can't help but think of the 'other' watch that was in those photos from Baselworld 2019. Actually there were several but all have since been released, all save for one. As such that watch has taken on almost mythical status in my mind, as not only is it elusive, but it's perhaps the most unusual looking Aquaracer I've ever clapped eyes on.

The release of the WAY101L gives me hope that the WAY101K isn't lost forever, perhaps it was intended to be launched at Baselworld 2020... or maybe Mr Bianchi has deemed it too wacky to release and put the kibosh on it? I do hope not, as I'm dying to see what that freaky bezel is made of.

Anyway, the WAY101L is 43mm and quartz powered and available now (on the NATO) for £1350

No comments:

Post a Comment