Sunday 14 November 2021

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Formula 1 '2021 Senna' Quartz Chronograph

 
CAZ101AJ.FC6487

If you feel like you've seen this watch already and can't understand why it's getting a 'First Impressions' post here in November 2021, you're not alone. More than one member of the esteemed C.O.C.O. Council commented that they thought this watch was already in the line up, which is perhaps slightly embarrassing from people who should know better, but also (I think it's fair to say) indicative of the lack of 'inspiration' to be found with this release.

So yes, this is clearly little more than a DLC coated version of the steel 43mm CAZ101AF released just over a year ago in October 2020, albeit wearing the strap from the CAZ201B Calibre 16 model that came out alongside it. But despite that, I have to say I rather like it...


For me the original was nice enough, but the grey and yellow didn't really contrast with the steel that well and so it was a kind of take it or leave it piece for me. Here though, with a fully blacked out case, crown and pushers, the yellow really pops and the yellow stitching on the strap completes the overall look perfectly.

I'm still not crazy about the leather strap, I don't hate it, I'm just not 100% sold on it as yet... but the thing that drives me crazy about this watch (and the reason I wouldn't ever buy it) is the positioning of the 'S' and the 'Senna' text on the bezel, it's just wrong isn't it? I would be quite happy to forego the text to be honest, just put the 'S' at the 12 where it's supposed to be, we already have 'Senna' and the 'S' in the 1/10 seconds subdial so it's a bit unnecessary anyway.


There really isn't that much more to say about this one (even the C.O.C.O. Council were unusually sparing with their feedback) but before I go I just wanted to address TAG Heuer's post on Instagram announcing the release of this model, where they rather hilariously claimed that the bezel features the number '400' to mark the '400kmh' top speed that Formula 1 has never yet reached...

Even in a watch world that literally thrives on making anything out of utter nonsense, is that not the stupidest thing you've ever read? I mean, who even knew that was a 'thing'? I certainly didn't and I've been watching F1 religiously since 1993. I mean it's not like an F1 car has ever even got close to reaching that top speed (I believe Valtteri Bottas holds the record at something like 372kph). And it's not as if F1 is a sport that is founded on the principal of reaching ever higher speeds (like say Drag Racing, where 300mph was a goal that was actively sought and ultimately achieved in 1992) . 

It just smacks of absolutely clutching at straws to be honest. Surely it would have been more pertinent to have featured 162 on the bezel (Senna's F1 race entries) or 41 (race wins) or some other random number that had some concrete relevance to the great man? 


And since when did we commemorate achievements/events which haven't actually been reached yet? This kind of thing isn't isn't doing TAG Heuer any favours, especially when they are releasing a watch which isn't exactly 'exciting'. Despite all that, I still think this is one of the best looking 'Senna' watches we've ever seen from TAG Heuer, it's just a pity we've already seen it in steel so the impact is somewhat reduced.



CAZ101AJ.FC6487: 5.8 / 10 

"8/10. I like it, one of my favourite Senna quartz Formula 1 up to now. Although the price is maybe too close to the Calibre 16 version on same strap. We could consider 2200€ a high price for a quartz watch, but 3100€ a reasonable price for an automatic chronograph… even when the price difference between the quartz and the automatic movements for sure is less than 900€!"

"7/10 for me. Although I like the S / Senna logo to be at 12’o clock like before."

"5/10. It's alright but it brings nothing new to the party whatsoever. It could be a watch from 5 years ago."

"6/10, nice but not earth stopping. Are they going for the younger generation who may not have ever seen Senna race and are entering the world of watch buying so not too outrageous cost or collectability?"

"6/10. I am a lover of F1's and of Senna but it just feels like 'I've seen it before' with this piece. Nothing new and exciting really."

"3/10 Same as it ever was."

"7 from me. It looks great but I could have sworn this was already in the TAG catalogue. Apparently it is a new model!"

"6 for me. It looks too much like something they already released before. At this price point it needs a little something, something more."

"I don't hate it, but honestly what is the point of quartz chronos and it really feels like they are cashing in on Sennas name."

"I like the color, and the strap is awesome. I don't like the date at 4, with the yellow accent it looks even more out of line. But if you think about how Senna's most renown watch looked, a bit of quirkiness is just like a historical reference. I give the new DLC Model 8 out of 10 points!"

"I like the all black look over last year's model, but this seems like a fairly lazy update. If I'm going for DLC, I'd rather have the Indy F1 with its unique brickyard finish line motif & asphalt dial. Also prefer the current RedBull F1 over this new Senna, plus the RedBull is priced considerably cheaper. The new Senna is really expensive for a quartz watch."

"4/10. The reason why I gave such a low score is because I felt this model was lazy too. I want them to come up with something that makes me want it, like the 2018 models for example."

"6 from me, maybe I am being generous though."

No comments:

Post a Comment