Monday 29 November 2021

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 Watch

 
WBD2112.BA0928

Goldsmiths / Milton Keynes, 13th September 2021

For the past few months I've been seriously considering the idea of purchasing a 'WAY/WBD' or possibly 'CAY' Aquaracer, if only because once they have disappeared from the shops the stress of ensuring that I don't end up buying a fake on the pre-owned market is too much. Admittedly I do already own a 'WAY' model in the WAY208C, but I'd also really like a steel version and the front runners are either the white dial version with the black hour markers and orange second hand, and the blue dial with yellow accents. 

I can't honestly remember the last time I actually tried on a blue dial (WAY/WBD series) Aquaracer, it must be a long time ago - maybe it was that limited edition 'Hawaii' model with the turtle on the dial and the palm trees on the back plate that I found in the old TAG Heuer outlet store at Bicester Village?


I've also always been much more biased towards the 43mm versions over the 41mm but since the 43mm was not available in Goldsmiths today I thought I would give the 41mm a go and I was surprised to find that it didn't look too small on me. I know, 41mm isn't small and I wear plenty of sub 40mm watches but for some reason the 41mm Aquaracers have always struck me as a little 'tiddly', particularly the black PVD coated ones. But this one was just fine, which makes me wonder if I should have jumped on one of the white dial 41mm  Aquaracers that Bicester Village had a couple of years ago (at a 30% discount!). Hmmm....

I have to say the blue dial on this one is much nicer than the blue dial on the new 2021 Aquaracer. At least this one has a bit of sparkle and life to it, and the subtle yellow accents have always had great appeal. The steel bezel looks just as good as I remember, but I also have some reservations too...


This is probably going to sound silly, especially coming from someone who collects models from all era's of TAG Heuer's history, but suddenly the WAY/WBD Aquaracer seems a bit 'yesterday'. I am quite shocked that I feel that way about it, but there we are. The truth is that new Aquaracer is growing on me with each new exposure and it's hard not to compare the two.

Perhaps the WAY/WBD Aquaracer is now entering that twilight void where it's not yet the 'classic' it will inevitably become, but it is starting to feel the cold shadow of the WPD model looming over it, at least temporarily. So the hard bit then is working out when and if I will regret not buying a guaranteed 'original' WAY/WBD series while they were still available, or whether I should be saving my pennies for a future WPD Aquaracer that I really like... 

No comments:

Post a Comment