Thursday 17 November 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Year of the Rabbit' Limited Edition Heuer 02 Chronograph

 
CBN2A1L.FC6521

With new releases, what usually happens is that we see renders, then photos on release day from website like Monochrome and A Blog to Watch, and then, if we're lucky, a few weeks later (assuming we're not talking about a limited edition or even worse a region specific limited edition) we might get to see them in a store or failing that a TAG Heuer boutique. 

So generally speaking I write a 'First Impressions' post (including the scores and opinions of the C.O.C.O. Council) right after release and then an 'On the Wrist' post a few weeks later once (if) I've actually got to see it in person. But once in a blue moon I get to see a new watch right away, and in this case before I'd even written my 'First Impressions' post, such was the case with the 'Year of the the Rabbit' Carrera.


TAG Heuer Boutique, Meadowhall, Sheffield 12th November 2022

I actually went to the TAG Heuer boutique looking to check out the new Aquaracer Solargraph, but unfortunately they didn't have it in store and to be honest it doesn't sound like they are going to get it in either. Indeed it sounds like (at least for now) it's a case of put your deposit down and we'll order it in, which I'm not prepared to do since I'm nowhere near that sure I want one.

But helpfully Tom assuaged my disappointment by pointing me in the direction of a couple of watches I hadn't previously seen, the solid gold Carrera Porsche with the red strap and this funny little fella. Now, I wasn't exactly jumping up and down with excitement because from the renders this looked a little bit weird... but actually in the hand it isn't nearly as bad as I thought.


In fact it's a solid 6.5, maybe even a 7 for me... although I could live without the peculiar looking rabbit on the back. The good news is that the 'fur' on the dial is much less intrusive than pictures suggested, although it still looks a bit odd, and if I didn't know it was supposed to represent the rabbit, I don't think I would have guessed. In fact I know I wouldn't. I don't know what I would have thought it was supposed to be to be honest... which is kind of the stumbling block with these watches: how do you make a 'Year of the Rabbit' watch without plastering the dial with rabbits?

I think the previous 'Year of the Tiger' model was pretty cool, with tiger stripes rendered in shades of blue rather than orange and white (which would have looked a bit naff frankly) and obviously tigers are inherently cooler than rabbits, so this one always had a bit of an uphill climb. But overall I think they've done an okay job.


The red filled gold hands and indices are sure to appeal to the target market and the gold rotor is a nice touch, but the thing that shocked me about the watch was how small it seemed considering it's supposedly 44mm diameter. In fact I sat there somewhat befuddled trying to get my brain to comprehend how this fairly large watch looked so small on the wrist. Sure, it might be partly because I was wearing my new SLR Calibre S which is quite substantial to say the least, but even so it definitely seemed much smaller and thinner than I remembered when I last tried on a Carrera Sports. 

I did find the strap quite dull though, I know people keep moaning on and on about TAG Heuer fitting alligator straps to anything and everything, but without any texture at all this does look a little boring and dare I say cheap. Perhaps TAG Heuer thought there was enough going on with the rest of the design or perhaps as I've heard it suggested endangered species animal straps are not legal for sale in China, I'm not really sure but either way it didn't make much impression on me.


Fortunately for TAG Heuer next year is the year of the dragon (2024 - this release is a tad early for 2023), which must give plenty of scope for something truly epic and cool! I look forward to seeing that next Autumn, but for now we must throw the 'Rabbit' on the pitiless mercy of the 'Council of Considered Opinion', and, well... spoiler alert, I think it's fair to say they aren't as keen as I am. 

But that's nothing new now is it?




CBN2A1L.FC6521: 4.2/10


3/10: "The Year of the Rat & Tiger weren't bad, but this Rabbit is. Whatever happened to the Year of the Ox, TAG Heuer?"

7/10: "I don't really know what to say about it to be honest. I really like the rose gold hands and hour markers with the red lume. Works well. Just not sure about the dial and the rabbit on the back. Overall a nice watch which knows its market."

3/10: "Bit of an eyesore."

6/10: "Although I completely recognize that the appeal of this piece is intended to be regional."

2/10: "Better with a plain dial and no rabbit on the rear, not for me."

4.5: "The dial confuses me, that texture doesn’t scream rabbit to me. I also do not like the red accents. It may just be the lighting but even still, I don’t think a different shade would help."

2/10: "Worst release of the year, no doubt."

4/10: "I like to finally see a recent chronograph Carrera without an alligator strap, but I don't like those rabbit hairs all over the dial..."

6/10: "I think it looks pleasing, although personally would like to see how the dial is in person rather than renders."

2/10: "This watch is not very attractive. It's a complete dud. Unlike tigers, I think it would be better to show a little more cuteness."

2/10: "Horrible."

7/10: "It's a cool remix of the colors. But I still don't like the overall aesthetics of the Carrera 44 Sport, even if it's way lighter on the wrist than it looks like it'd be."

5/10: "The dial looks like the arm of a really hairy man who shaved his arm hair and now there is a bit of regrowth! I can neither slam nor celebrate this release so it's a five."

No comments:

Post a Comment