Sunday 28 April 2024

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 36mm Calibre 7 Automatic Ladies Watches

 

It's always hard to write about new ladies pieces because they regularly elicit the exact same responses from the C.O.C.O.: ('Isn't this already in the catalogue', 'No more diamonds', 'Urgh, Mother of Pearl', etc, etc), but actually TAG Heuer are quick to point out that these 36mm Carreras should not be considered solely 'ladies' pieces because they can just as easily be worn by a man or a woman. Well, technically that's true. But until I see a guy wearing one of these I think I'll stick to my old fashioned ways and call these 'womens' watches thanks very much. The blue, green and pink 36mm Carreras yes, okay maybe you can make an argument for those, but these.. really?


The other reason it's hard to write about new ladies pieces like these is because like the council I feel like I've seen them before, because basically I have (well two out of the three anyway.. in one form or another). That's because these are the quintessential 'standard' ladies pieces featuring Mother of Pearl dials, diamonds and two tone bracelets and/or cases. Well clearly TAG Heuer know what their lady customers want and they continue to supply it, nothing wrong with that. And anyone who argues this isn't actually what women want, I'd suggest is deluding themselves. True, not all women like gold and diamonds, but clearly an awful lot of them do.


Key feature on these new Carreras is the clever placement of the diamonds around the rehaut rather than on the bezel, a superb idea which protects the diamonds from wear and tear (and damage) and also has the added advantage of keeping them clean and sparkly. I'm intrigued to see the rose gold dial version (something that is actually quite novel admittedly) as I suspect the render is doing it no favours at all, the other two however I'm pretty sure that what you see on the website is gonna be pretty accurate and exactly what you'd expect.

Predictably the Council has little to say on these, but let's check out a few comments anyway..







Gold Dial 7/10, MOP Dial 7/10, Double Diamonds 7/10: "I like them, sporty and a bit of bling. Nice ladies watch."

Gold Dial 2/10, MOP Dial 3/10, Double Diamonds 1/10: "I feel like I've seen them all before. Diamonds, two-tone, mother of pearl - all the things ladies love, right? Absolutely zero imagination, however."

Gold Dial 8/10, MOP Dial 7/10, Double Diamonds 7/10: "The gold dial one is a strong 8/10, main thing lowering the score is the lazy date. $200 micro brands colour match their date discs, why can't a luxury brand charging thousands do the same? Embarrassing. The other two get a 7 each."

Gold Dial 2/10, MOP Dial 2/10, Double Diamonds 2/10: "Powder box colors... and indeed, those frame window dates look very 'dated'."

Gold Dial: 3/10, MOP Dial: 2/10, Double Diamonds 1/10: "Showed these to my wife and she just laughed and said she could have written down the headline elements of these, as they’re pretty much the same every time."

Gold Dial 4/10, MOP Dial 7/10, Double Diamonds 7/10: "I like the contrast of the mother of pearl/gold, the diamond ring is a bit much but overall they seem quite elegant."

Gold Dial 3/10: "Not for me, or the boss, not pleasing colours." MOP Dial 4/10: "Better but the hands need to be better defined against the face colour to match the markers (may be picture though)." Double Diamonds 3/10: "Don’t do diamonds on watches."

Gold Dial 5/10: "I’m not a fans of that tone of rose gold." MOP Dial 3/10: "I’m not a fan of diamonds. Double Diamonds 3/10: "Still not a fan of diamonds."

Gold Dial 4/10: "It's fine. Its nothing exciting but I'm sure it'll do well, just a bit plain besides the gold." MOP Dial 4.5/10: "It's nice. The diamond rehaut is a nice touch and adds some nice interest along with the mother of pear dial but I prefer the two tone version with the diamond markers." Double Diamonds 5/10: "My favourite of the 3 'Ladies' watches. Its like they mixed the other two together and came out with this which is great in my opinion. It works very well al together. That said, i know it has a lot of diamonds and gold but the price is a tad on the high side."

No comments:

Post a Comment