Thursday 25 April 2024

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Twin Time 'GMT Watch Club' Limited Edition

 
WBN201B.BA0640

We're still only part way through the 'Watches & Wonders' releases, but for reasons far too tedious too explain (let's call it 'technical reasons') today we will be looking at something else. But don't worry, I'm still going to cover the 36mm 'unisex' Carreras, the Calibre 16 F1 Chronos and of course the Monaco Rattrapantes. I'm sure you're looking forward to that one... 

Okay, so this one is quite a special watch that's limited to just 24 pieces. Yes, you read that right, just 24 of these are available, which the 'Fine-Watch-Club' website claims is the smallest batch of 'limited editions' TAG Heuer has ever made. This isn't actually true, because off the top of my head I can think of at least two models made in much smaller runs (Jimmy Butler Carrera tourbillon - 5pcs and the LE Carbon Bullhead - 10pcs). But whatever... 


It doesn't alter the fact that this is an interesting take on the current WBN201A, swapping the blue dial for what they are calling a 'bronze' dial. This combined with the half white GMT ring and in particular the blue second hand and blue tipped GMT hand combine to create quite a bold statement. 

The watch is made to celebrate the 24th anniversary of 'GMT Magazine (hence 24 pieces), and it's quite cool that the watch can wear the logo of the magazine slap bang in the middle of the dial without it looking overly out of place; since of course the watch is a 'GMT' or 'Twin Time' as TAG Heuer prefer to call it. Some might find the logo a tad too bold and attention grabbing, but then again this is supposed to be about celebrating the magazine, so I think it is okay. I mean, if it was printed in white then that definitely would have been a bit OTT, but as it is, it's fine. 


At the time of writing the watch is still available to purchase for the sum of 3990CHF, which is perhaps somewhat surprising given the extremely limited quantity. But to be honest the website isn't doing itself any favours, featuring as it does, just two very poor quality photographs alongside the usual not particularly reliable renders. 

With so few of these around we'd be very lucky to experience one of these in person, but from what I can see here it's definitely one of 2024's better releases so far; let's find out if the council agree with me...





9/10: "This is actually pretty interesting! I really like the blue accents. The chapter ring going from cream to brown reminds me of a macchiato. I’ll call it the coffee dial. 9/10 for me. I love it!"

5/10: "I don't know if the colour scheme is a reference to something. But it's not very appealing to me."

7/10: "The blue seconds hand, although part of their colour scheme, just doesn’t work for me. Everything else is a nice look to me."

5/10: "I quite like the colour scheme. Reminds me a bit of a Grand Seiko although not quite as good."

7/10: "Could be better in real life."

7.5/10: "I normally wouldn't be into brown and blue, but somehow this quirky combo works on this watch. In the sunlight, the dial looks more like champaign brown and gives me a '70s vibe."

6/10: "Not for me, but I can see the appeal."

3/10: "Not a fan. I find it bland. Blue hand looks like it shouldn't exist in this watch."

7/10: "Bit brown."

8/10: "This is a very strong proposition from TAG Heuer. Lovely colours and I could see myself rocking this bad boy. Strong 8 from me."

8/10: "Yeah, I like this too and genuinely think it will look even better in real world photos, given the usual poor renders TH put out. Plus it’s got a proper case and not one hidden by stupid shaped glass. ;)."

7/10: "I like this one!"

4.5/10: "I've mulling this one over and whilst I quite like the colour scheme, that bolded 'GMT' text just irks me. It's just, so....., bold and it stands out and therefore takes over the dial. Reluctantly, I can only go 4.5/10 but without the GMT text, I'm thinking closer to 7."

7/10: "I wouldn't easily opt for a brown/bronze watch. But I think this copy is still a good success. Beautiful appearance and a bit mysterious. Partly because of the blue accents. So well done."

3/10: "Looks awful in my book."

4/10: "I think these should have a separate category, since a 24-piece limited edition isn't really something most of us will encounter. That said I'd call it a 4, the colours aren't too interesting and using the same copper/brown for the bezel as the dial doesn't do it any favours."

7/10: "I like it, and they say is ‘24 numbered pieces', so I guess it is not the lazy ‘One of 24'"

6/10: "I would have scored a bit higher if they had utilized additional blue accents (like they have done in the past with the Zenith model), but I recognize that could be difficult with a non-chronograph timepiece and a simpler dial layout."

4/10: "A bit underwhelming in my opinion."

9/10: "Greatest colour combinations."

No comments:

Post a Comment