Wednesday 22 May 2024

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02 'ThreeC' Limited Edition

 
CBN2A1P.BA0643

Okay... hands up anyone who didn't immediately think 'Zenith Daytona' the second they clapped eyes on this one for the first time. Anyone? Didn't think so... but is that such a bad thing? The Zenith Chronomaster Sport is a fine looking watch after all and offers a very attractive (cheaper) alternative to the overpriced and under-sized Rolex Daytona. Perhaps we could say the same about this one?


So, unless you live in Japan you're probably wondering what ThreeC is? I was too. It turns out 'ThreeC' is a jewellery store where all 100 pieces of this edition will be sold. This brings back memories of the 160th Anniversary Dato in blue, which I have lusted after for years... but despite initially rather liking this one, over the last few weeks I seem to have cooled on it significantly.


There's two things really that I find troubling, the weird shade of blue they've chosen for the subdial and outer ring, and the disparity in size between the upper and lower registers. In fact the more I look at this the more I think I may have overscored it. I'm not so keen on that blue around the crown either. Hmm...


Alarmingly, despite my reservations for me this is still one of the better looking TAG Heuers of 2024 (what that says about the majority of rest of them doesn't bear thinking about), but what do the council think? Let's turn it over to them now and find out...




9/10: "I think this is the best iteration of this watch to date. I give it a nine out of ten. A great looking panda with a pop of colour for those who like a big watch or have the wrist to pull it off."

6/10: "Nothing special, but it does not look so bad in my view. I would certainly wear it with pleasure."

7.5/10: "I kinda like it, odd sub dial colouring and all."

8/10: "This looks great and I like the running seconds treatment… but why not just make it a panda?"

3/10: "Not sure why TH would make such an uneventful piece."

7/10: "Although I instantly think of the Zenith ChronoSport, if 42mm I’d be interested."

8/10: "It's a great looking Carrera Sport. I'd put it on par with the 160th Carrera Sport white/silver panda. Plus, unlike the 160th models, it doesn't have the date at 12 o'clock where the chrono hand obstructs the view."

7/10: "Love the vibrant white dial, but not so sure the matte-blue colour was executed that well, nonetheless, overall a good effort."

8/10: "Love the crisp white dial."
6/10: "Interesting colour combination and it's nice to see an actual subdial at 6 for a change. 6/10 due to size and really being an Autavia."

3.5/10: "Within the context of the over-sized, fat-bezelled Sports Carrera, which I don't like, it's an inoffensive 5/10, however taken in the context of the overall, it drops to 3.5/10."

7/10: "I rather like it. Nothing earth-shattering, but overall a pleasant design."

5/10: "This watch is a limited edition made by a watch shop called ThreeC. Like the chronograph of Tiger made by a watch shop called Tomiya last year, it is sold only in 3 stores. My impression is that it looks like a Zenith watch, so while it is perhaps a 'novelty', it's a rather mediocre one."

7/10: "I dig it, but I’m not a fan of the Daytona bezel."

5/10: "I'm sure if I saw this in person I'd probably like it more. However, for me there is just something not right about it. I'm not keen on the blue/grey sub dial. For some reason it just jars me and somehow doesn't go with the black and white of the rest of the dial  Also that sub dial is just too small. And just to be picky, the hands aren't too legible for me."

5/10: "Too big for me obviously, but quite like the dial and colours on this one."

7/10: "I like it, but not enough to score it more than a 7/10. I don’t know what ThreeC is, so there are other collaborations (especially if they are related to motorsport) that add more value to the watch than this one."

7/10: "This has a rather subtle, under the radar, colour scheme which I rather enjoy."

5/10: "Hello, I have arrived to announce my score of this smart, some what bland looking, Siffert version of the Sports Carrera for men who enjoy a sporty lifestyle. A strong 5 out of 10 for me. Still waiting for TAG to impress me in 2024... I wish the running seconds sub dial would be proportionate to the other two sub-dials. It looks off to me how they have designed these Sports Carreras. On the other hand, I am not a sporty man so this Sports Carrera is clearly not aimed at me."

5/10: "Too big and too white for me unfortunately. In my opinion, the blue is too 'sweet' for this watch."

No comments:

Post a Comment