Monday 23 July 2018

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 16 Chronograph 500M

CAJ2180.FT6023

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 16th July 2018

This is by no means the first time I've tried on this particular watch, but this is the first time I've been quite so impressed with it. It seems to be becoming a thing now, I try on another 500M Aquaracer from this particular family of watches (the one's with the rubbery looking bezel, even when it's solid gold...) and I tell you how I used to not like them at all until I changed my mind big time and bought one... and so here we are again!


From the pictures you'd be forgiven for thinking this one has a more than passing resemblance to the other 500M Aquaracer I tried on on my last visit to Bicester (the CAK2111 read about it HERE) but in reality the black/green colour scheme is even more striking. The CAK2111 has a steel case which softens the look sightly and put me in mind of the Aquagraph, but this is much more uncompromising and all the better for it in my opinion.

As usual I had my reservations about the deployment clasp fitted to the rubber strap, but it seemed okay this time. As it happened, when I adjusted the strap to fit my 7.3/4" wrist, the rubber very nearly completely covered the the clasp and prevented it from aggravating my wrist although I'd definitely want to try it on again before committing to a purchase.


It's always interesting to re-try watches I've already had on and written about, and this one is no different. In the past I've reckoned on seeing this at sub £2000 prices, but I wonder if I'm getting this one confused with the simpler Calibre 5 version (FT6015)? 

At the moment the watch is selling for £2610, which is still an impressive saving on it's £4000+ list price. It's certainly a bold statement, and one which won't be to everyone's taste, but for those that 'get it' I can imagine this being something of a must-have. I really enjoyed having this one on my wrist and if it hadn't been for the gold bezel WAJ2182 I might be even more enthusiastic about this one.


But who knows, maybe the WAJ2182 is a short term infatuation and this one has more longevity? It's a shame I can't take both, but I guess that is perhaps a little greedy. Again it wears a little smaller than my grey dial, steel case version - but that's to be expected with a black PVD case. It's by no means small and it has plenty of wrist presence, but I think it could stand to be bigger still, certainly for those of us with bigger wrists.

The rubber pushers perhaps won't be to everyone's taste, but owning an Aquagraph I don't see them as a problem. I've read that people have to get them replaced regularly (at least on the Aquagraph) but mine is probably 8-10 years old (from date of manufacture, rather than date of sale) and there's no sign of any trouble so far (although admittedly I don't get it wet).

All in all then, yet another 500M Aquaracer that deserves a place on the 'potential buys' list, but for me, at least for now, it's playing second fiddle to the gold bezel CAJ2180.

No comments:

Post a Comment