Saturday 18 August 2018

ON THE WRIST: 2000 Exclusive Quartz Two Tone Watch

WN1153

H&T Pawnbrokers / Northampton, 13th August 2018

Just lately I've woken up to the joys of perusing the local pawnbrokers' windows, I've already seen an Alter Ego and a very nice Formula 1 Calibre 16 and the latest thing to catch my eye was this two tone 2000 Exclusive. Since my last visit to Bicester Village I've become rather more open to the idea of having something gold in my watch cabinet and at £595 this looked like it could fit the bill nicely.

The only problem, of course, was size. At 37mm this is definitely on the smaller side and I think while you don't want a gold watch to be too big and blingy, at the same time you don't want it to be very undersized either since it could look a tad effeminate. So I was really in two minds about it when I tried it on and it didn't help that I was wearing a chunky 43mm Aquaracer at the time.


In all honesty when I saw it in the window, it didn't look overly small but I presumed that the bracelet wouldn't fit me and that would be that. But actually the bracelet was a touch too big and would definitely have needed a link or two taking out to fit my 7.3/4" wrist. Also the marks that seemed to be apparent weren't actually marks at all and most of them proved to be fingerprints on the gold plate and were easily wiped away with a cloth.

The compression clasp was in excellent order and very crisp indeed, which gave me the overall impression that the watch really hadn't seen that much use, despite it being probably at least 15 years old. I must say I really liked the gold 12, 6, 9 numerals and the way the bezel was dissected allowing for a properly two-tone design.


The next day I kept thinking about the watch, but I had grave doubts about the 37mm size. So I decided that what I would do was I would wear my 6000 Series, which is 38mm I think, but very thin and see how it compared with that. However, as it turned out my work day was rather busy and I never got the time to walk into town to try it on again.

Also a friend pointed out a two-tone Link on Fine Time Watches the other day, and I decided to check that out again, although I was sure that too was 38mm. As it happened that watch had been sold, but I did happen upon another bargain that is currently en route to me and should arrive tomorrow morning! I haven't been back into town as yet, so it could be that this one is still for sale if you fancy it? I do like it a lot, and if it had been say 40mm I might well have chosen this one even though the watch I've actually gone for is £70 cheaper. But the one I've ordered is 41mm, and that makes a big difference I think, I just feel like if I'd bought this one I'd regret it based solely on it's size, so even though I think the design might be slightly better, I'm sure I've made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment