Saturday 6 October 2018

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer01 Oxford Street Limited Edition

CAR201F.FT6087

Unlike some people, I don't have a problem with watch companies making lots of limited editions... I just don't see the problem - if you don't like it, don't buy it. The way I see it the more limited editions there are the more chances are that there'll be one that you like, and if not then does the proliferation of small quantities of special or limited editions really affect the perceived credibility of the base model range? I don't think so. If anything, and this is the way I'm sure the watch companies see it, it creates interest (particularly on social media) which might indirectly stimulate sales of both the standard and limited pieces.

However, it might be that TAG have taken a slight wrong turn here with this Oxford Street Limited Edition, not because the watch is obnoxious or particularly aesthetically displeasing, but simply because at first glance it looks almost exactly like the Tokyo edition released earlier in the year.


Clearly the (rather basic) print on the display back is different, but the only real point of diference seems to be that the London version has a ceramic bezel whereas the Tokyo one does not... which is a bit of a shame as it slightly undermines the idea of a limited edition piece. True enough the average punter might not even notice, but for the watch enthusiasts out there, that red date wheel is just too eye-catching to forget, and indeed it is the date wheel which first gave me a sense of deja-vu when I saw it.

Setting that aside for a moment and taking the watch on it's own merits, this is a nice looking piece overall. I'm sure the date wheel might prove a little divisive - I can't quite decide myself if I like it or not, it kind of reminds me of a model 'sprue' - and the colour combined with that unfortunately suggests 'plastic' which is not ideal...  but the 43mm case is the wrist-friendlier of the two 'mutant' Carrera sizes and the ceramic bezel means it shouldn't scratch (but you will be constantly wiping fingerprints off it of course).


At 43mm this is a fair-sized watch, but it still looks pretty small presented in this over-sized display box. Thankfully we're not talking Omega sized superboxes here, but you're still going to need a sizeable sideboard to lay this on (or a large wardrobe to chuck it in the back of...), and you'll also need fairly deep pockets as this one retails £4850.


Overall I think this is a pretty nice looking watch and the red date wheel is definitely a 'point of interest', I'd say my main gripe (as with all the Drive Timers) is the lack of a date window (frame). I don't think just having the date in front of a white backing is enough, my Carrera has a date window so I don't get why not having one is better.

The big question I suppose is, if I had £5000 burning a hole in my pocket, would I rush down to London to by this? Probably not to be honest. I think I'd probably take a standard black/red Drive Timer on a leather strap instead, I just hope we're not going to see this same watch wheeled out again in New York or Paris, there really needs to be more differentiation to justify a limited edition than some simple red text on the back glass, no matter how nice the watch is or isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment