Tuesday 30 October 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer 6000 Series Quartz Two Tone Watch

WH1151

This past weekend here in the UK we've moved back on to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) from BST (British Summer Time), it's a bit of a pain in the backside to be honest as not only does it disrupt my sleep patterns for about a week, it also means I have to get all my watches (and my wife's) out and put the hour hand back an hour. It's not so bad on the normal quartz pieces, and obviously I don't have to worry about the automatics - it's the Calibre S, the Chronotimer and the F1 Kirium that are a little fiddly and of course the Microtimer (which always necessitates a trip to the manual!).

But what it did do was remind me just how much I like my blue dial quartz 6000 Series, and how I want to add some more 6000s to my collection. And then I got an email reminding me that I was watching this one and that it was finishing in just over an hour... Hmm, I like it!


I was a bit wary of the strap length so I contacted the seller, who told me that the strap fits pretty much any length. Having studied the pictures it seemed to me like the strap is cut to length, but having contacted the seller and studied the photos again, it seems like the end of one of the sides of the strap is folded over... I couldn't actually see that but I figured it looked a decent length anyway so I'd worry about it if I won it.


When I got the alert the watch was selling for about £240, but clearly it was going to go for more than that. I paid £300 for my blue dial 6000 and that was on a bracelet, but this one is two-tone so I initially figured I would bid £407... although I hoped I would get it for under £400 really.

Looking at the pictures the watch looks in fantastic condition and I rather like the white dial with the gold indexes and hands, ideally I'd prefer this on a bracelet perhaps, but then the black leather goes quite well with the gold accents on the case and creates a nice contrast with the face. Besides, as I don't actually own a watch with a leather strap, this would make an interesting addition, especially as it is quite an unusual design.


As the time ticked away and the auction came closer to it's conclusion, got slightly cold feet and dropped my bid amount from £407 to £376. It sounds kind of silly to quibble over £31 perhaps, but the key to bidding on auction sites is not bidding whatever it takes to win the piece, but finding a price you are happy to pay and sticking to it. Buyer's remorse is always a risk, but if you've paid more than you really wanted to... well, you're just asking for problems. Of course, sometimes you want something bad and sometimes you might have to dig deep to get it, but this wasn't really one of those times.


That said, I'll admit to a slight pang of regret, as, unfortunately, my bid proved to be not quite enough. I waited for the last few seconds to place my bid and the price immediately went up to £386, which indeed ended up being the winning bid. Of course, one could speculate that I missed out for the sake of £10, but who knows what the winning bidders top limit actually was? Looking around eBay for similar pieces, most are in the £600 and above price range, albeit most of those are probably a bit optimistic, anyone can list a watch on a Buy It Now for a silly price, it doesn't mean it will sell.

So, I missed out this time... but never mind, there'll be more 6000s to bid on, and there's quite a variety to be had. I must say the more I look at it the more I like the strap and the contrast with the white dial, which gives me something to think about for next time anyway. As it is I think someone got a very nice watch for a very decent price, I hope they enjoy wearing it, and if not then I hope they'll relist it so I can buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment