Tuesday 5 November 2019

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 12 'Final Edition'

CAW211J.FC6476

So, here it is... with the launch of the new Heuer 02 loaded CBL2111 Monaco, this new limited edition model marks the end of the line for the incumbent 'TAG Heuer' branded Calibre 12 Monaco, and really... what an excellent way for the model to bow out.

Limited to 1000 pieces, this isn't by any means as rare or collectible as the 50th Anniversary Monacos launched over the last few months, but at the same time I don't really expect this one to hang around too long and I certainly don't anticipate this rocking up in the outlets at a bargain price like a few past era 'limited editions' have.

The dial is brushed 'ruthenium' which according to the TAG Heuer website has... 'a dynamic iridescent colour that changes in different shades of light'. Interesting! I had a quick Google of ruthenium, which is apparently often used in jewellery, but is also apparently carcinogenic if ingested - which seems slightly incongruous to say the least! Still I'm sure it'll be fine encased in stainless steel and sapphire crystal as it is in this Monaco.  


The watch comes fitted with an alligator strap and is water resistant to 100M (standard Monaco rating), while the reverse is engraved 'Monaco Cal 12 Final Edition' and again according to the website it is also engraved with it's limited edition number.

I've always found the grey dial Monacos quite appealing, much more than the blue dial variants if I'm completely honest, although I definitely prefer the non-radial hour markers. Indeed my only two hesitations about this particular piece are those hour markers and the black subdials, I'm not sure if they don't look a little harsh against the silver background? I think it depends how dark or light that dial proves to be, if it's a fairly dark dial (as in the photo below) then I think it will look great, if it's a very light silver, then it might be a little jarring, perhaps?


Curiously, this picture on the website shows the right hand side subdial hand as red, but the main render shows it as silver. I guess this will be cleared up once some actual photographs start to emerge in the coming days. Hopefully these won't all disappear before I get a chance to see one as I'm intrigued to check out how dramatic the colour change effect is on the ruthenium dial. Somehow I get the feeling this one might be one that impresses more in the hand than on the screen, but we'll see...

This one hasn't made it onto the UK website yet, but the US price is $5950 and that equates to about £4600 if it's a straight exchange equivalent.

So that's it, the end of the Calibre 12 era, tomorrow we take a look at the new Heuer 02 Monaco.

No comments:

Post a Comment